The Firearms Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given a Remington Rolling Block in 25rf when I was a kid. The bore was terrible. My dad bummed a few cartridges and we quickly found out that it was useless. Ended up a few years later my Gun Smith gave me a new 513 barrel and told me he would chamber & do extractor if I put barrel on. I was in 7th grade shop at the time and instructor was gun nut. The original barrel was octagon but the 513 barrel fit fore end well enough I didn’t fool with it. I mean time I decided I wanted it chambered 22mag, my Gun Smith decided I didn’t and did 22rf. I’m glad he did, got a lot more use out of it.
It became my official Turkey Shoot gun. Most of the Turkey shoots for 22s were shot at 100’. Pretty lax rules, any scope or sights was ok, any rifle. No slings or other supports. I have a 16x Redfield, fine reticle but can’t shoot it offhand. I could always shoot better offhand with receiver sights if I could see Target plainly. I took a Weaver base and drilled it to fit existing scope base holes and modified it for a receiver sight. Along with the Lyman Globe front it makes nice rig, with a little trigger job.
I have gun super tuned for 100’. Front insert is a loop that is reamed to perfectly fit the bullseye. You pulls the trigger and bullet ends up in center of bull. I get a big kick out of guys with some of the better bolt actions with nice scopes making fun of my rifle. One guy said it looked like a “ plum’n fitting “ Standing guys up on there hind legs quickly tells the story. Take away the sandbags their rig don’t do so good.
Another plus at 22shoots is they are only $1 a shot, no Turkey prize. It’s always Cheese, Bacon, Sausage ect. Me and Bro were running the Turkey shoots and had to many Turkeys. One young kid that won a 22 luck square was down in Jaws because he wanted a Turkey to take home to Mother. His prize was 5lb Swiss Cheese, my Bro traded him a Turkey for it in a heart beat.
Wood Watch Tool Hardwood Tableware

·
Registered
333 Posts
That is cool, and I bet at the time you pretty upset over the LR/WMR thing. But I also bet he was right, and you are as well, it got shot a great deal more.

I find it fantastic, I am really wanting a rolling block already in some kind of "modern" read that as easy available cartridge.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
About 20 yr ago I put together a Numerich Arms Buffalo Kit. I got Kit dirt cheap in misc auction box. Only reason I bid on box was Octagon barrel sticking up. Thought it was Renegade barrel. Anyway had two RBs at the time. A really nice 43 Spainish and somewhat beat 7x 57mm. So I used the 7 for donor action. Everything went pretty slick. The only problem was clearance to load a 45/70 over block.
You could weasel around and get it chambered, but it wasn’t easy. I was going to mill some off top of block but traded it first. That wouldn’t be a problem with 25rf action vs 22 mg. The only thing I can think of is he just was bossy. At the time he was converting Remington 510 into 22 mag so he had the tooling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts