The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says I've made my first reloading mistake of many im sure. I have primed brand new .223 cases without sizing them. Then neck is smaller than what i feel comfortable with in seating a bullet. What are my options? Deprime and toss the primers? Able to reuse? Or since they are new cases should i even worry?

· Premium Member
33,025 Posts

· Registered
3,584 Posts
You will still need the expander ball in your die though to bring the neck inside diameter back to the correct dimension.

If the neck feels a bit smaller than normal, more than likely you just need to bump the cases through the die just to use the expander ball.

All depends on what brand dies you have too.
If you can, just remove the decapping pin from your expander stem. If not, then move the expander/decap stem farther up into the die so that it can not touch the primer.

Either way, don't forget to lube the cases. I'd hate to deal with a stuck case that has a live primer in it!

· Banned
2,751 Posts
You sure it's neck diameter giving you problems.

Did you chamfer the inside of the mouth? New brass and freshly trimmed brass must be chamfered and deburred.

If you must open the necks up a bit, just push the expander down through the neck and pull it back out. No need to raise the ram all the way to the top, just raise it enough for the expander to go in and out of the neck.

This will not work with Forster dies.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya i know i know, haha. It was the excitement of getting new shells and without thinking i primed. (like a kid in a candy store). I have the rcbs small base die and looking at the deprimer pin it looks like i'm able to remove it but i must be doing something wrong. So instead what i did is seated the die as normal and ran a shell to be seated and had the pin backed up enough not to touch the primer and then screwed the decapping pin in a half turn from touching primer, to insure the sizing ball enters the neck all the way through.

· Registered
19,355 Posts
ditto on removing the decap pin and runnign them thru...

them rcbs pins ARE removeable. I've changed a few.. thanks to hornady brass not putting hte flash hole where everybody else does.. that and an odd berdan that sneaked in.

go easy onthe lube. for those primed ones I would not use a spray or spritz lube. use your lube pad and then use the brush for the neck/mouth ( if you are using rcbs stuff.. this came in a lube kit with many of their relaod kits..e tc. )

G

·
Just back the decapping pin back up into the die body till the pin is flush with the bottom of the die. This will allow it to still size the case properly and not knock the primer out.

Jut be careful with the lube. Don't spray it directly into the case as this may get on the primer. (I highly doubt it) I am just saying this as a caution.

I've made my first reloading mistake of many im sure.
OK I am not being a jerk. But, reloading is not a place to be making mistakes. A mistake here can cost you your face, hands, life. I understand mistakes happen in life but you MUST give 210% effort to not make them while reloading.

I can count the mistakes I have made reloading on 1 hand in the 30 years of reloading. What reading material do you have for reloading?

Remember no one here will ever tell you a reloading question is dumb or stupid. Every reloader on this board takes it seriously some take it real serious.

· Registered
19,355 Posts
OK I am not being a jerk. But, reloading is not a place to be making mistakes..
actually.. he didn't make a mistake.

a mistake.. such as would cause damage or injury is a set of events, start to finish, that went uncaught.

if he loaded up a set wrong, never caught it UNTILL there was a problem.. then that would be a mistake.

noticing a procedural error part way thru, and then correcting it and proceding, means he's being observant at least..\

those double checks we make at each step help cath any oversite or mechanical failures that may happen ( double charge.. etc... failure to add a primer before charging.. etc.

lets not kill him and burn him at the stake because he forgot to size a few cases before priming.

WAY easy to correct without carving an X across his face.

we are all human.

just sayin...

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@cpttango30 i don't think your being a jerk its fine, your right things go boom isn't something you want to make mistakes in. To answer your question on reading material, i have Lees reloading guide and with the folks here pointing out Lyman guide i also purchased that as well and i must say thanks guys! I have somehow received an Alliant Powder re-loaders guide 2013 also. not sure how i ended up getting that in the mail but its got some good recipes in there as well.

· Registered
19,355 Posts
@cpttango30 i don't think your being a jerk its fine, your right things go boom isn't something you want to make mistakes in. To answer your question on reading material, i have Lees reloading guide and with the folks here pointing out Lyman guide i also purchased that as well and i must say thanks guys! I have somehow received an Alliant Powder re-loaders guide 2013 also. not sure how i ended up getting that in the mail but its got some good recipes in there as well.
some side advice. buy as many relaod manuals as you can. at least 1 for each type of projectiole you shoot.. IE.. if you shoot sierra projectiles .. have a sierra manual.. etc..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.