The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thanks to all who helped me, my first .223 rounds came out good I gotta say. But there's always room for improvements. All are within specs. And all were with a challenge too. I made 50 rounds and it felt like a lifetime. Can't wait till I get in a groove and start cranking em out. Lol. But without the help of you all I would probably still be working on them. I'll be back askin more just you wait. And thanks again it was greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah it feels good, my son (12) he helped my all the way. So our next batch will be bigger it just takes forever to trim by hand. He's pretty happy and wants to start the new batch
now. I'm too tired but tomorrow's a new day. We have about a little over a thousand .223 shells to load so we'll be busy for awhile.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Congrats ARG! Just make sure before you start loading more quantity that you've got your load how you want it. I start out with no more than 20 at most while testing and then start quantity once all is verified at the range.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Congrats ARG! Just make sure before you start loading more quantity that you've got your load how you want it. I start out with no more than 20 at most while testing and then start quantity once all is verified at the range.
Have you come up with an optimum cartridge length yet

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well I'm just making the length of the shell 1.750" and when I seat it's 2.599" basically I'm keeping it the same length as the 5.56 nato round i have right now. haven't shot them yet just finished a couple of hrs ago. I also filled the charge to min 22.5 gr. But I will shoot before I start mass producing . Thanks

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Congrats....I did my first .223 loads about a month ago......that included some tracers one of my buddies got for me.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Many Congrats AR guy... Looks like some great work there. Personally I can't wait to take my first Coyote with one of my .223 reloads, then I'll feel like I really did well. :)

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Have you come up with an optimum cartridge length yet

Optimum cartridge length for a specific gun is dependent upon the chamber, the only way to find it is to test with the gun in question. If you want optimum cartridge length for a given caliber, then stick with SAAMI specs/reloading spec.
Depending on the bullet design, I have several different lengths for one gun. The biggest factor is where the ogive of the bullet is.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Optimum cartridge length for a specific gun is dependent upon the chamber, the only way to find it is to test with the gun in question. If you want optimum cartridge length for a given caliber, then stick with SAAMI specs/reloading spec.
Depending on the bullet design, I have several different lengths for one gun. The biggest factor is where the ogive of the bullet is.
Well thats kind of my point,,,if your going to go thru the effort to load your own why wouldn,t you take it a step farther and make the round chamber specific,,,it,s not all that difficult

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thats pretty cool that you were able to get them to float up to the celling like that, just kidding. Glad to know that your son would rather make rounds instead of playing video games.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Congrats on the reloads. Welcome to the game.

Now can we talk about the gravity issue you seem to have where you live?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts