The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friends history, former Golden Gloves Boxer.

One night I had NCO staff duty at the Army Hospital and was talking with the Oral Surgeon. He mentioned my friend was well known among all the Military Oral Surgeons.

They treated many of the Army, Marine, Navy and some Air Force members who had their jaw broken by my friend.

A Marine company commander had my Army friend report to his office. The commander said you're not in trouble, I just wanted to see the guy who knocked out three of my Marines.

My friend is a very friendly guy. Just like a top gunfighter, many wanted to challenge him.

With a bad guy up close, I think a knockout blow would be faster than drawing your weapon from an EDC holster.

Especially, for those who are strong with enough skill for a one punch knockout?

Norm

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
My Father fought Golden Glove, he told me if a fight lasted longer than 15 seconds, someone was doing something wrong.
Made me wonder, he won every bar fight I saw him in, most of them he started.
My uncle did some boxing while in the in the Army.

When he was around age 70 he moved into a trailer park, he knocked out a guy (known for harassing everyone). So others where happy.

A knockout punch is ingrained in a boxers muscle memory.

Norm

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Guess it would depend on the situation and skill . How close you are to the bad guy . One reason I got my CCW was feeling my age and the wear and tear on me . But I do know a few guys in their 70s I wouldn't want to get punched by . Few years back a blind older man had a guy break in , The bad guy got the snot stomped out of him . The blind guy was a retired Army Ranger if I remember right . Their are people out there that do have "hands are lethal weapons" .

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
How similar is this to the old adage, don't bring a knife to a gunfight? Yes, a punch may put a gun wielding aggressor down, but if it is not "for the count" you may get shot. So, it's a bit iffy.

Look at it this way. It is always advised if you yourself are armed, to not try to draw on someone who is holding a gun on you. If the gunman is alert and sees a punch coming he may shoot and kill you. But, in both cases, armed or not, it would be best to wait until the gunman turns away and gives you that moment to draw your own weapon or throw your punch, but then he won't be facing you and so will it be affective? This might be a loosing gamble for someone who is used to and most likely enjoys fights.

Since I've never been one of those who likes fights, I really don't know. Then again, I've had leos tell me to quickly engage the shooter physically especially if you think you might be shot anyway. That may stir things up and allow you to get your own weapon out. Bad business either way.

·
12,311 Posts
How similar is this to the old adage, don't bring a knife to a gunfight? Yes, a punch may put a gun wielding aggressor down, but if it is not "for the count" you may get shot. So, it's a bit iffy.

Look at it this way. It is always advised if you yourself are armed, to not try to draw on someone who is holding a gun on you. If the gunman is alert and sees a punch coming he may shoot and kill you. But, in both cases, armed or not, it would be best to wait until the gunman turns away and gives you that moment to draw your own weapon or throw your punch, but then he won't be facing you and so will it be affective? This might be a loosing gamble for someone who is used to and most likely enjoys fights.

Since I've never been one of those who likes fights, I really don't know. Then again, I've had leos tell me to quickly engage the shooter physically especially if you think you might be shot anyway. That may stir things up and allow you to get your own weapon out. Bad business either way.
My buddy Grizzly had two knives concealed on his chair that Rambo’s look little.

·
Premium Member
10,932 Posts
If you’re fast enough and we’re blessed with heavy hands then sure, you can certainly snap a punch faster than you can you can draw a gun. I was NOT blessed with the latter so if I were to allow a bad guy to get close enough to punch him that response would be down a bit on my list. Now a punch to the throat??? 😉

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
If the bad guy is out of reach, without a gun you are out of luck. If holding a gun on someone, you should stay at least 4 or 5 feet away, and I would suspect that most gun wielding bad guys know this. Are you going to take a chance that the bad guy that targets you will be stupid?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If the bad guy is out of reach, without a gun you are out of luck. If holding a gun on someone, you should stay at least 4 or 5 feet away, and I would suspect that most gun wielding bad guys know this. Are you going to take a chance that the bad guy that targets you will be stupid?
knockout blow in addition to EDC. The more options in your defensive scenario the better.

Norm

·
Junior Advanced Senior Member In Training
7,721 Posts
If you let someone get closer than 10 feet, or close enough to punch, you are not practicing situational awareness... or you are suicidal...

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
All depends if the bad guy has a gun/knife on you or just threatening you and you feel he is about to harm you . If you don't have enough space cause he is staying close a punch might give you the chance to create some space . But I am not the same man physically I was 10-15 years ago and punches hurt more it seems also ! I carry my EDC and pepper spray on my belt . What I pull out all depends on the situation . I am to slow to run and my punches after 3 shoulder surgeries have lost there pop . I heard a comic say one time if he ever thinks someone wants to fight him . He strips naked cause no one wants to fight a naked guy !

·
12,311 Posts
I would never hold a gun on anybody.
My Daddy taught me to never pull your gun unless you are going to pull the trigger.
Real life isn't hollyweird.

If you let someone get closer than 10 feet, or close enough to punch, you are not practicing situational awareness... or you are suicidal...
Remember the 21 step rule.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
All depends if the bad guy has a gun/knife on you or just threatening you and you feel he is about to harm you . If you don't have enough space cause he is staying close a punch might give you the chance to create some space . But I am not the same man physically I was 10-15 years ago and punches hurt more it seems also ! I carry my EDC and pepper spray on my belt . What I pull out all depends on the situation . I am to slow to run and my punches after 3 shoulder surgeries have lost there pop . I heard a comic say one time if he ever thinks someone wants to fight him . He strips naked cause no one wants to fight a naked guy !
If it wasn't illegal, a knife on the belt a nice 3rd option.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
[QUOTE="tedwitt,
Remember the 21 step rule.
[/QUOTE]

+1

At 84 I would be on my back while drawing my firearm. Keeping the attackers knife away from my torso, with kicks to the groin, stomach and knees Then shoot him.

Ps. 9/11/2021 5:43 AM

Also call an ambulance to treat my leg wounds.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts