My "get home" bag.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by firefighter1635, Jan 11, 2017.

1. BlueDragonLair

BlueDragonLair Well-Known Member

Without my powerchair would not matter what I had on hand.
    But do keep alot of what's posted: First Aid Kit, tools, inverter, radio, lighter, waterproof matches, ammno, 100' powercord, jumperbox that can double as 120 electric source, food, coat, gloves, solar blankets, raingear x2, fire extinguisher, couple changes of clothes and in pouch on our powerchairs 2 weeks of meds for both Mama and I.
    Meds and clothes have come in handy when one of us is in hospital so other one don't have run home for them.
    Use store a manual wheelchair in van but Oklahoma summer weather just plain rotted the uphostery within acouple years.

2. Swiss_Gunner

Swiss_Gunner Well-Known Member

I got two power banks (one solar-powered) to charge my cellphone in my EDC bag. Communication is key. Not only in my everyday life, in SHTF it could be useful too. Even if the mobile network breaks down (which it will obviously sooner or later during SHTF) a working phone can still be put to practical use. For example: you can listen to radio, take pictures of important stuff, can use the built-in flashlight and also use the phone as an alarm clock to remember yourself to get up. And you could use the battery to start a fire...

Regarding cigaretts and liquor: I have mentioned this earlier, my ancestors lived through WWII. My grandma keeps telling me how important it is to have stuff to trade with. Cigaretts and liquor were quite the deal after the war, but a single bit of dried meat ("Beef Jerky") was worth half a days work sometimes...

Having access to someone who actually lived through a real "SHTF" scenario is gold. I learned so much from my grandma regarding preparedness. For example: Be nice to your neighbours!! This is just my personal impression, but a lot of preppers tend to be "lone wolfs". This could be fatal. At least according to what my grandma told me... She often told me that there was that one anti-social guy in her village nobody liked, because he was very impolite to his fellow citizens. Guess who helped that man after the war? Not a single soul.
    For me, being in Switzerland, being nice to my neighbours is even more important. Because in a case of desaster, I am going to have to share the bunker in my house with my neighbours if SHTF... (Every house in Switzerland is required to have a nuclear shelter, if you didn't know.)

3. Country101

Country101 Well-Known Member

Swiss gunner, I like getting info from your side of everything. Definitely enlightening sometimes.

The lone wolf strategy works for the short term. After the initial shock and awe of a disaster or event, then you have to work together. It's good to be on good terms and have relationships where people know you and can trust you later on, without giving anything away up front. Once things settle in, if that network is still intact you would be able to use it to your advantage without being an initial target.

I need to gather things up into a bag of some sort, but I had toyed with buckets before too. I have some 6 gallon buckets that have screw on lids with a seal. I had paracord, hay sting rolled on a dowel rod, ammo for both pistols, suture kit, staple gun(medical), bandages, maps, flashlight, extra batteries, fire kit(altoids tin with Fresnel lens, bic lighter, magnesium block, ferro rod, ob tampons, cotton makeup pads, and a large sewing needle.), ziplock bags, trash bags, and a few other items. I think there may be a few pairs of socks in there in a silnylon dry bag.

I want to have two of those with different items to be able to throw in a vehicle and get out of town. I also want to eventually keep my backpacking bag packed so that I can use it since it has everything except food gathering capabilities. Right now I have to pull too much stuff out of it for other activities, so that hasnt been possible.

4. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

If I might make a suggestion to complete the load out.........

ZomboMeme 12012017050515.jpg

BlackEagle and howlnmad like this.
  5. Country101

And what might that be?

6. Swiss_Gunner

Swiss_Gunner Well-Known Member

"Swiss gunner, I like getting info from your side of everything. Definitely enlightening sometimes."
    Well thank you! I feel honoured! :)

@ral357: Is this a Kel-Tec? I've been looking into them but since I hear mixed reviews about them, I'm still hesitating... App. 2nd gen is better...

7. flboots

flboots Well-Known Member

Whiskey is good for medical also. It will clean the wound. You pour some on the wound and drink some attacking the germs from both sides. lol. I also put a couple of tampons and panty liners in my go bag for wounds.

8. Country101

Yes, looks like the sub 2000. For the price and the review I have read, I would not be happy with it, but the idea is good. Cant have any optics and a few too many polymer parts in the wrong places for $500.

9. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

Yes sir Sub2000, they are a unique gun. Not a tack driver but far more accurate than a handgun in most people's hands. Kel Tec has QC issues to be sure but they will make it right if you do end up with a lemon. What this dude brings to the table is a light carbine that folds to a 16" long package that fits discreetly in a backpack, book bag... whatever. It can be quickly unfolded and made ready to use.
    I wouldn't recommend it as a range gun, ergonomics are not the greatest, and I have zero doubt that it will not give as long a service life as a Ruger, Beretta, Colt etc. It's strength is its ability to be brought along when other long guns cannot because of logistics or freak out factor.
    Perfect for a get home bag. Light, discreet and add a few 9mm 33 round Glock mags...a far more formidable and capable weapon that a handgun.
    Street price these days about $425. I would get the 9.....The 40 seems to have more issues. For its intended use it works well. It allows you to have a carbine in situations that you otherwise would be limited to a handgun.

10. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

A get home bag. Yep I have one. The intended purpose is to get you home. How far is that? How long will it take you to get there? Can you depend on anyone else in such a situation? I need to re-do mine. I had it set up for the wife, and I, and she couldn't walk more than a block. So I will remove some of the stuff in my back pack, and rethink what I will need. As it's 30 miles from my house to anywhere, I know I have to cover at least that distance. Food, water, and shelter may be needed, and so will be prepared for. What about SD? Is there anything in your bag to provide you with more than you have on your belt? At present my bag weighs in at a whopping 35 pounds, but like I said, some of that will be removed. An extra gun for Laura, and extra ammo will no longer be needed. Nor will shelter, or food for her be needed. I don't think that I'll make it all that much lighter, but I got way more stuff in my bag than you folks appear to have!

11. Big Mak

Big Mak Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I've always wanted to be in a store check out line with;
    Duct tape
    Shovel
    Vaseline
    Large garbage bags
    Just to see what sort of reaction I get from the check out person.

12. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

Young folks today wouldn't have a clue!

joe45c, flboots, Swiss_Gunner and 4 others like this.
  13. TigerLeo

TigerLeo Well-Known Member

In my neck of the woods I don't have much need for a bug out bag (B.O.B.) more or less a rural area. Ideally if I go into the city I should be able to find food enough to sustain myself long enough to formulate a plan to get home, but over the next few years I will amass some survival gear to get out if necessary. I really gotta get a move on on this though... I do hope to have an AR platform here soon. I figure keeping that in my truck during trips to the city will make a big difference if I have to get out in a hurry.

firefighter1635 and BlackEagle like this.
  14. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

Carver, you got the idea. "Get home", not "Bug out". Mine is built for while I'm at work specifically, that's why there's no firearm in it. Not allowed to have one while I'm on the clock so that's why there's a K-bar in there.

Depending on where I'm working if S would HTF, it could take me a couple days humping it home. I'd stay away from interstates if I could help it, mostly humping through farm fields and woods. Depending on the time of year, there could be crops in fields, tall corn would defenatlly slow me down.

For the most part I wouldn't depend on a stranger during a situation like this, you never know their intentions. I'd work with a stranger on a task(s), but wouldn't "depend" on them. It's up to ME to survive and get home, not someone else.

15. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Yep, I love my little Sub 2000!!