The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed to the grocery store today and passed a garage sale. From my truck, I spotted an RCBS loading press on one of the tables, so I stopped to look. Scattered loading stuff, mostly worn out. Nothing I needed. And there was a box of old toy guns. The metal ones, not the new plastic crap. I'm not a toy gun person, but some of the old toys are collectible. In the meantime, I'm chatting with the women running the sale. Apparently, this stuff is all her late father's stuff. There had been some guns, but the sold them to the local gun shop. She just didn't want guns around. They made her nervous. Even toy guns.

Then I found one weird little toy gun. Asked here what she wanted for it. She told me it was her father's favorite toy. He kept it on his desk and was always playing with it. Would Twenty dollars be too much? No, it wouldn't. I paid her and left with my new toy gun.

Now I will be the first to admit that at a single glance, it looks like a toy gun...

Note the fake cylinder, with fake bullets cast with the cylinder...

Note the solid back of cylinder with no place to put bullets...

Until you push on the cylinder to swing the entire barrel and cylinder out as one unit to show that this is a single shot .22 pistol...

That's right, boys and girls. This lady had a Savage model 101 pistol for sale in a box of toy guns where anyone could have bought it, including some kid, because she didn't know what it was. Hell, I had to look at it twice before I figure out what I was looking at. I've never seen one before.

I figure I did the world a favor by getting it away from someone who didn't like guns, keeping it out of the hands of some little kid, and adding it to my collection.

So, here's my new $20 single shot pistol...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Once I figured out what it was, I thought about telling her what it was. Then I thought "Nope. She might have sold that gun to a kid." I don't feel bad in the least for paying her what she asked and beating feet. Besides, it'll look good with the rest of my single actions, even though it isn't.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
woah!

nice score and good it didn't end up in the wrong hands, unbeknownst to the lady. More proof that education about firearms would have likely lead her to realize it was a real gun and not a toy!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Given the fact the gun was unloaded there was no immediate and inherent danger with the gun if a kid had purchased it. And before anyone gets bent out of shape, I know you handle any gun as if was loaded. Now if a kid had bought the gun AND figured out what it is AND had access to ammo then this would be cause for concern.

You did the right thing. No need to make a nervous woman even more nervous.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
that's an instant karma return on investment. ( karma fast refund).. sounds like a tax return deal.. :)

good deed, and good deal.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Am I the only one who is DISGUSTED that she would sell her "Dad's favorite toy" ? I would have kept it just because it was my dad's , Good find hope you enjoy it as much as her dad did.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Am I the only one who is DISGUSTED that she would sell her "Dad's favorite toy" ? I would have kept it just because it was my dad's , Good find hope you enjoy it as much as her dad did.
Christmas of 2000 my FIL died. he lived in a different city. His estate was immediately put up for sale by his lawyer.. I had about a week to remove the contents of the house, as there was already a buyer lined up, and the buyer wanted a blank, empty house so they could go in, clean and re-carpet and repaint it.

I had to take 4 days off work and I made 2 trips a day with just me myself and I to do the work.. that included moving frniture with creative dolly and strapping setups... did I mention that this guy had a 2 story house?

he's lived there for 30 ys.. so had accumulated some stuff.

On days i worked, I'd get off at 'dark' and make a trip over and load more stuff and come home.. sleep a few hours and go to work or be back at it. on days i didn't work and made 2 trips.. i'd get over there early and just pack and box and get stuff staged.. like literally 2-3 loads staged, then load my truck and trailer and go, then swing back for another... i spent more time actually driving than there.

between it all, he had trailers of 'favorite stuff'. on the last 2 days i saw i was gonna fall short and simply did a day and half yard sale. last half the day was a give away sale.. I made the deadline by 5pm that day.

nowthen.. my 2 car garage was packed top to bottom with favorite stuff.

i had the wife go thru it as I marked stuff. some stuff we obviously absorbed into household goods.

some stuff hit churches and clothing drops. some stuff got given away. some stuff was deemed ok to toss.

now.. 12ys later.. I probably still have a 10x20 'block' of packed items.. mostly china , glasware and that sort of thing. the man had 7 tv sets and 4 microwaves. we slowly used thru those till they were obsolete.

the man had 5 bikes. we still have 4 of them, re-habbed and in good condition.. I ride a couple.. wife rides a couple ( mountain or regular.. 2 each.. and 1 for parts ).

point is.

you CAN'T keep all the favorite stuff!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lucky you are not in california -- that is an illegal transfer of a handgun --

It's not luck that I don't live in California. I turned down two jobs in the past that would have required me to move to California. In Arizona, that is a private sale. Nothing more, or less, and completely legal.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I have to rember to ask at garage sales "Do you have any guns or coins?"

My nephew steered me onto this. He finds one every now and than.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts