My Kabar

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by tedwitt, Feb 6, 2020.

1. tedwitt

tedwitt 440 Supporting Member

I have this Kabar I think I bought at a garage sell in the '70s.
    I would like to know more about it, like what branch of the military for instance.
    On the side if the butt it says (Camillus N.Y. 1-1967).
    No other markings.
    IMG_20200206_203013_burst_01.jpg IMG_20200206_201637.jpg

2. REM1875

REM1875 Well-Known Member

TEXAS - near Buffalo Springs -Clay County
    Ted I ain't no expert but having spend years in and out of the field with Marines and SeaBees carrying a knife on my field gear I have become familiar with a few. Looks like you have a Navy (aircrew) survival knife there.
    Camillus, Ontario and Ka-Bar knife companies (formerly Union Cutlery Co) -all were founded in the late 1800 (all are made in Upstate NY) and were the big suppliers during Viet Nam and WWII. The original Camillus company went out of business in 2007. The Marine K-Bar has a longer blade and different top. Your knife's sheath has sharpening stone stored on it. if you are interested in a sheath for it they sell still them without the knife and Ontario Knife (OKC) company still makes the knife, Ka-Bar makes a similar but not exact knife.

330px-91-164-Q_KNIFE,_SURVIVAL,_USN,_PILOT.jpg

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    tedwitt, Fletch.N, Bigdog57 and 3 others like this.

3. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

I can't see if yours has a saw blade but the marine blade used in the 70's during the Vietnam era had a 7" blade. The Air Force had a saw blade in the spine and the blade was 5".

4. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff* Supporting Member

Good Morning All....Over the years spent with the Navy Sea Bees I have seen so many
    variations of sheath knives....The K-Bar was an issue type while many of the others
    were crafted by the carriers themselves...a vehicle leaf spring always seemed to be
    the prime source and then worked to the owners specs they desired...thick, leather
    belting that come on much of the industry provided contract equipment become a
    choice source for crafting the handle. I kept my issue K-Bar when I left the last
    battalion I was with in Vietnam...Many years later I would give it to my son-in-law
    who had a Marine brother killed in country in 1967.. David cleaned it up and has it
    mounted on some things his brother had sent the family back then. Chief

PRR1957, REM1875, tedwitt and 2 others like this.
  5. Empty_Holster

Empty_Holster Well-Known Member Supporting Member

All I can tell Ted is he needs better skills in close up photography!!:)

Nice knife.........

6. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

I think he sees everything blurry. So a blurry picture to you and me is a clear picture to him.

PRR1957, tedwitt, one3 and 6 others like this.
  7. Patches

Patches Well-Known Member

The one I have has a longer blade, a different kind of pommel and the sheath is green reinforced plastic of some nature with web fiber fitting and a metal loop for attaching to a wed belt. Sheath is marked USN.

8. REM1875

I had a great uncle who was quit a character, a professional boxer during the depression who despite being German as hell boxed under the name of Mickey O'Donnell (boxers were supposed to be Irish) Was in the Civilian Conservation Corp. Played semi pro base ball.
    In WWII the Navy knew what to do with a character like this and put him in the SeaBees in NMCB 8. I inherited Uncle Fred's USN fighting /Utility Knife with a black and green plastic/ Bakalite handle and carried it with the Marines and SeaBees for years ....... Passed on to my Brother a SeaBee Chief .......
    I also carried several KaBars from Ontario and KaBar. .......I have an exact copy of a Marine KaBar from Japan which was used in Viet Nam as real KaBars were scarce .....
    The were just tools like other 'field gear'. I appreciate them much more today. They now make one which is 3/4 as big as the original. I picked up one at Sgt Grit up outside of OKC, it has become my favorite ........Wish they made these when I needed one ........

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    tedwitt, ms6852 and Fletch.N like this.
  9. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

REM, can you point me to a place that sells just the sheath? I have a pilots survival knife that my father gave me years ago that I have not been able to find just the sheath to buy. Maybe my search abilities are not very good!

REM1875, tedwitt and Fletch.N like this.
  10. SilasW

SilasW Well-Known Member

I have what appears to be the same knife. Got it at Ft Knox, KY in 1987 during basic training. Ft Knox was the home of Armor Training at the time. Carried that knife the whole time I was in service. The sheath on mine is stained from diesel fuel and the sharpening stone got broken (still have both pieces though) Nowdays it's kept in one of the gun safes. Gets taken out and wiped down with some oil occasionally. It's like an old friend.

REM1875, tedwitt and Fletch.N like this.
  11. REM1875

tedwitt, ms6852 and Fletch.N like this.
  12. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

13. armabill

armabill Active Member

K-bar has a 7'' blade and a different pommel.

REM1875 and tedwitt like this.
  14. REM1875

usmc k-bar.jpg

tedwitt likes this.
  15. tedwitt

tedwitt 440 Supporting Member

I would like to get the sheath, thank you.

I just ordered mine.
    Thank You!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    REM1875 and Empty_Holster like this.