The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally finished the Model 94 and thought i would post a few pictures of what i started with to what i ended up with.

I started with a pretty rough Winchester that i picked up for $150.

I then used some Lok-Tite brand naval jelly to remove bluing and rust.

After fixing the rough spots in the steel with a dremel and a lot of time, i re-blued the gun using brownells oxpho blue. I heated the gun on top of the wood stove for a day before starting this. I was told that the heat would help get the bluing to soak in to the steel better.

My gf ( since it is for her dad for xmas) then stripped the stock, sanded and refinished the stock with Minwax antique walnut.

This is the finished product after a couple weeks of work.

All in all I had a blast doing this little project and I am now on the hunt for another one. This was my first attempt at not only stripping a gun completely but also tearing one down this far and putting it back together.

·
Registered
8,675 Posts
Turned out pretty nice! For whatever reason (steel compostition?) Winchester 94s are the hardest to blue in my humble opinion. Heating the metal opens the pores of the steel. Your rifle looks MUCH better than the old 94 I did many years ago. You got a real bargain for $150.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
All in all I had a blast doing this little project and I am now on the hunt for another one. This was my first attempt at not only stripping a gun completely but also tearing one down this far and putting it back together.
A lot of us do this and it sounds like you got the bug now too! Whether I keep the piece, sell it or give it away like you're doing it's never about money for me. I enjoy it, get self satisfaction and pride my ability. And as in all things, when you make a mistake, you just learned something. Nice job, he's going to love it!!!

·
Registered
907 Posts
That there is some good work. I would be happy with that rifle! Very nice present indeed.

·
TFFWPP President
14,281 Posts
Turned out pretty nice! For whatever reason (steel compostition?) Winchester 94s are the hardest to blue in my humble opinion.
this is why I haven't done the receiver on mine yet. it is not rusting, just some weird flaking type of thing.

yours looks good. I'll have to remember that oxpho blue and slow heat process. any idea what temp it got to?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it was pretty warm. the furnace is big and gets pretty hot. i would say 100 anyways. i just sat it on top the night before and let it warm. the naval jelly makes it a really easy job. just keep applying it until the blue is gone, took me a while to figure that part out.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
not really. make sure you dont spend a bunch of time right over. a few minutes is all i could take. doesnt really stink its just fumes right over it.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
i have done a number of guns,yours looks great for a first timer.if you ever do any cheap marlin 22s they have painted receivers and i keep mine in an oven for awhile then paint with high heat paint. old semperfi

·
Banned
5,425 Posts
Just bought a 1950's J.C. Higgins bolt action, tube fed 12 gauge for 59 bucks that I will be doing this to. The shotgun functions fine and it's just the finish that needs the work. Thanks for the tip with the bluing!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts