My new baby .. Metro Arms Corp American Classic II 1911

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by dbcooper, Aug 10, 2016.

1. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Some of you guys called it after I bought my first 1911 Ruger about 6 months ago.
    Here I am again, with my 2nd 1911:D

I have been eyeing a full size 1911 in 9mm. I just thought it would he a helluva range gun. Fun to shoot, low recoil and accurate being SA

I have been looking at something in the price range of a Rock Island or similar gun for a few weeks now. I found this at my LGS but it was stainless and had alot of nice features I liked but out of my budget.
    I compared it to a Kimber, but the Kimbers factory sights were just flat black, front and back, no dots:( and it was about $300 more

I went back to the store that had this gun and ask if he could work with the price since I wasn't looking for a stainless and he would have to order an Armsco gun special to get the sights I wanted.

He worked with me and I bought it for $550

I just cannot describe how well the gun is built. While I am somewhat of a 1911 novice, I know how to spot good craftsmanship

The gun has a rock solid slide to frame fit. It has a consistant 4.75 pound trigger pull that is fairly crisp with very little creep. Breaking it down , I did find the barrel bushing to be a little tight, but I can live with that given how accurate it seems to be. I found no tool marks left on the finish inside the frame. They seem to have their struff together for sure.
    Today I took it out and ran a few magazines through of just plinking ammo
    147 gr ball standard load. I found that it does shoot about 2 inches low at 30 feet with this ammo but is very stable laterally

Once I figured that out it was banging the steel plates at 75 feet with no problem

From a rest I was able to get really nice groups. The gun had a little more recoil that I thought it might, but I will also run some lighter loaded 124 grain through it this weekend and compare

I had not heard about Metro Arms Corp. They are a competitor to Armscor and a major manufacturer located in the Phiilipines
    They have been importing 1911s into the US for several years now. The model I have is the American Classic II in 9mm, stainless
    The hard wood grips are beautiful and feel great in the hand. Standard 5 inch barrel, and Novak type rear sites stand tall and complement that gun and points very naturually. The grip safety has a nice speed bump on it which was just a bonus to me as well as the extended thumb safety

There are alot of features built into this gun. I know its an import and some people might look down on it.
    Look, there is nothing wrong with Kimbers and Colts, I just didn't have the budget to get one and this little experiment is just for a range shooter, not a SD gun. I am quite pleased with the gun so far. The one drawback is that for that price, you only get one magazine, so while at the store I bought a Wilson Combat, which I shot in the gun tonight and it is pictured below

I hope you guys enjoy the pics as much as I enjoyed shooting this gun this evening!

20160810_214537.jpg
    View attachment 106137
    IMAG2528.jpg

IMAG2531.jpg

IMAG2529.jpg IMAG2537.jpg IMAG2516.jpg

IMAG2525.jpg

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

It's a right pretty 1911 and seems to shoot pretty good, too!!

3. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Good score db. That a purdy pistol you got there. Never heard of them either but looks to be a shooter.

:cool:

4. crystalphoto

crystalphoto Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That is a very nice looking pistol, db! Nice shootin'. Nice writeup.

5. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Great looking 1911 and nice photos......

6. dbcooper

you can come shoot it anytime:D

7. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thanks....

firefighter1635, carver and dbcooper like this.
  8. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Never heard of Metro Arms Corp but I will be checking them out. Good looking, good shooting piece :).

Did your wife type that for you? :p

9. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

Nice close-up pictures,I like it a lot!I like the stainless guns because they look better with holster wear unlike blued guns sometimes over time.And the cost of ammo 9mm is a plus also.But still powerful enough.

10. Potter

Potter Well-Known Member

Very nice indeed...love the grips and the photos...shoots well too....well done.

11. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member

Nice looking. Shoots good. That's all that matters.

12. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

That is one good looking pistol DB! With good quality ammo, I would not hesitate to carry it for SD. Once you've shot it enough to be sure it works when needed!

13. 4Anaconda

4Anaconda Well-Known Member

very nice looking 1911... I see they borrowed the grips from the Kimber raptor... :)

14. dbcooper

that sure looks like them.

Good eye on that

firefighter1635, 4Anaconda and carver like this.
  15. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

Gotta ask, how many rounds does the mag hold?

dbcooper likes this.