The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My uncle sent me a new skinnin knife!! It's a Kershaw.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I've always felt that Kershaw makes excellent knives and the sharpest, out of the box knives.

Nice gift.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I have one and it's my go-to deer skinner. Holds a fine edge. I use a Lansky to keep it razor sharp.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I tried to skin a possum with it, and to me I didn't like it to well. Seemed like it wanted to cut the hide more than peel it. Will have to try it on somethin bigger and see if that makes a difference. If it don't then I'll have a boot knife cuz it cuts through meat real good.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like an experience issue.
Could be if I hadn't skint several thousand possum and ****. Now it still may be since all I have ever used is a huntin knife to do my skinnin with, which I haven't cut that many hides with. Course most of my small game skinnin has been done with a pocket knife. This is the first "skinnin" knife I've ever used. Now my dad said the same bout usin it fer skinnin, but it'll do a ceserian just fine.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
That's a fine looking skinner!
Like small game hides, as thin as they are, rabbitts and such, might take a "thinner" blade.
But for deer and such, I'd bet the skinner you have will wok wonders.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's a fine looking skinner!
Like small game hides, as thin as they are, rabbitts and such, might take a "thinner" blade.
But for deer and such, I'd bet the skinner you have will wok wonders.
I plan on usin it if I get one this year since I didn't have any luck last year.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Kershaw is good to go...I just got one of their Leeks and a Zero Tolerence 0700 and love them both.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1/8 of an in as best as I can tell usin daughters ruler.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Well I tried to skin a possum with it, and to me I didn't like it to well. Seemed like it wanted to cut the hide more than peel it. Will have to try it on somethin bigger and see if that makes a difference. If it don't then I'll have a boot knife cuz it cuts through meat real good.
1/8 of an in as best as I can tell usin daughters ruler.
This is just my opinion and mine only, but the handle to me seems to
be to "bulky" and not shaped right.

Some time back a friend of mine had an Outdoor Edge skinner, and with it's
handle design, it worked wonders on a coyote that we shinned out.
The handle just felt good to the hand and a great "skinning"
type of motion working.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I've never used this type of knife I always had a huntin knife that I use to skin everythin and it works great. Since I have corn right next to the house that means I'll have winter wheat so I should get to try it on a deer this year. Of course I will post my thoughts on how well it worked fer what they are worth.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Cool knife bud, I carry a kershaw in my boot and a kershaw zero tolerance tiger strip up top. Both great quality.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had trouble skinning with a "laser" sharp knife also. Seems like it's easier to undress the small stuff with a knife that's dull, but it gets easier as you practice. Nice knife.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts