My New SKS, new to me anyway

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

mustang7513
    (2/6/03 10:27:39 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All My New SKS, new to me anyway
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Got my Yugo SKS from AIM the othe day. It is in excellent shape as advertized or even better. No cosmoline, already cleaned up for the most part. Not a nick or dent anywhere on the wood. No scratches on metal. This one is beautiful. This was one of their "excelent" grades for $129 including S&H. Well worth it, best deal I have found. I'm feeling good about this one. Will be two weekends before I can get out to shoot it as wil be at the coast this weekend.

Here are a couple of pics. This is just as it came out of the box, like 10 minutes out of the box.

Things of quality have no fear of time.

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/7/03 8:27:06 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: My New SKS, new to me anyway
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Congratulations from another rabid SKS fan! Those Yugos are a lot of fun.

I know you said it has no cosmoline, but I would thoroughly check it out anyway. Especially in the gas tube, gas block, trigger group, and (most importantly) the bolt. Make absolutely sure that the firing pin is free-floating. You should be able to shake the bolt and hear the firing pin rattle back and forth. If it does not rattle, there may be cosmoline hiding in there that could gum up and cause a slam-fire.

Good luck with it, and have fun!
    Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht!

mustang7513
    (2/7/03 11:15:43 am)
    1952Sniper,

When I said no cosmoline I meant packed all over on the outside. I stripped the gun and cleaned it all. There was some still remaining inside that would have caused problems with the firing pin and the gas piston. All is great now. Thanks for the feedback. I plan on enjoying it at the range in 8 days. Got a case of ammo just itching for some action.

sig230
    (2/8/03 9:20:13 am)
    Looks like you got a real jewel. How are the night sights and do they still work?
    Aslan is not a Tame Lion

mustang7513
    (2/9/03 9:55:50 pm)
    sig230,

Thanks. The night sight is on it and it works in that you can flip it up. Haven't shot it yet, but will try the low light sight on our dank cloudy days.