My Next 1911

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by 76Highboy, Aug 18, 2016.

1. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

The Ruger will be worth more later on

Its just a better investment and a better gun I think

Broot and crystalphoto like this.
  2. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

Ruger or Taurus.......Ruger or Taurus? With Taurus you'll save a couple bucks with Ruger your great grandchildren will argue over who gets the cool gun.

Fordpkup, gvw3, Broot and 1 other person like this.

3. 2A-Jay

2A-Jay Well-Known Member

That is true. It is at the moment at the high end of the budget though. the Taurus fits my budget very nicely and this would not be something that would be for sale at a later date. I am trying to build a modest collection of guns I enjoy shooting and that could be used as SD guns. I am also looking to add a 9MM within the few months. But by that time my budget will have increased a bit more.

Broot likes this.
  4. 2A-Jay

2A-Jay Well-Known Member

I would really like to have the Ruger, so I guess I could do some running around to more of the gun shops to see what the best price I can one for is. Most of the better shops will do lay-away if it comes down to it.

Broot likes this.
  5. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

A friend always told me "I never regretted buying the best". Wait a bit till the Ruger is in budget. Down the road you'll be happier IMHO.

AaronW, Broot and texdon like this.
  6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Shoot, buy the Taurus now and save a while and then buy the Ruger later. I have both and I can't tell which one is better, they both shoot good and they both look good.

I also have a Colt, an RIA, a Citadel, and a Sig - they all shoot good and all look good but I have to say the Colt is shinier!!

7. 2A-Jay

2A-Jay Well-Known Member

In a dream world another Gold Cup Commander would be great, wish I still had the first one. But then it was a museum piece and if I had it today it still would never have been shot.

8. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My 2 cents

Get the Ruger. I own one and its a great gun. My son has a Remington and it is a good gun also. My Ruger is a commander version and is very accurate. I don't think you can go wrong with a Ruger.

I have had 2 bad experiences with Taurus handguns. They may make a good 1911 but I still would shy away due to my bad experience with 2 of there Barrett's 92 knock offs. One the slide flew off at the range. The other was a jamomatic. Couldn't feed a full mag without a jam.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    Broot likes this.
  9. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Well-Known Member

I had my STI Spartan for 4yrs now; no problems and a very good 1911 for the money. For less than $600, excellent out of the box.

Broot and jedwil like this.
  10. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

The STI Spartan is still your best bang for your buck in today's 1911 market. All the bells and whistles installed and match ready out of the box.

woolleyworm and Broot like this.
  11. Broot

Broot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'd wait just a little while and buy the Ruger. You could always buy some extra ammo for it now ;)

12. 2A-Jay

2A-Jay Well-Known Member

ATM the Spartan seems to be out of my Price Range. I am on a fixed income. so I have to balance my firearms with all the other bills. That is why the Taurus fits better. Of course I can always put some extra money in the Christmas fund (like the $75 Rebate from RCBS) and squeeze a little more for a extra Special Christmas Present.

13. Fordpkup

Fordpkup Active Member

My Tisas is good shooting and a lot of fun. I changed grips and had a trigger job. Cheap entry level pistol.
    I have heard the Rock Island Arms are very good. Look at some of the other brands.
    Between Tarus or Ruger. Ruger everytime.

Broot likes this.
  14. BrianJon

BrianJon New Member

Question - I'm looking at a custom 1911 a friend of mine is selling. It is a Ed Brown slide with a match barrel, and a Fort Daniles lower all in matched stainless steel.. He had it put together a few years ago by a custom maker and has only used it a few times. Any thoughts on what the values would be and if it is worth buying???

Attached Files:

Fordpkup likes this.
  15. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member