My Polaris is a piece of junk

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

HammerHead
    (8/14/02 9:47:39 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All My Polaris is a piece of junk
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Anyone else here have a 2001 polaris 500?? Mine is so gutless it wont pull me up my driveway!! it is very fuel inefficient and slow. My buddy bought a honda foreman and it kicks my butt. Worst off all it wont run on anything other than Premium fuel without bogging.
    They told me when I bought it it was the most powerful thing on the market and it would run on that south of the border Kerosine that they call fuel in MEXICO.
    Is it true that premium fuel in thicker?? could this be my problem?? Awful hard to hunt with my 45-70 lever action when it wont keep up with a mule!!
    What a piece of crap!! Shouldof boght me a Suzuki!!!

Hammer done hit me in the head

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (8/14/02 11:18:42 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: My Polaris is a piece of junk
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I just rode my friends Polaris 500HO Sportsman. It dang near pulls a wheelie when you hammer it from a stop and I had it up to 60 and it was still climbing. Sounds like there is something wrong with yours.

I think his is a 2001 but it might be a 2000.

He was pulling a 15 passenger old Dodge van around the farmyard with it when I drove up.

Welcome to TFF
    Edited by: warpig883 at: 8/15/02 12:20:23 am

unknown
    (8/14/02 11:38:13 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Polaris
    A 500HO should be able to do what Warpig is saying, sounds like something is wrong with yours. Take it back to the dealer or have a friend who is knowledgeble about ATVs check it out. Now a days the Polaris 700 is the big boy on the block.

And visit some ATV sites:
    ATVFrontier.com
    ATVNation.com
    ATVTime.com
    Highlifter.com

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/15/02 8:09:43 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Polaris
    Although I am not a fan of the Polaris, something is definitely wrong with yours. We have a 1996 Model 500 Sportsman (when it`s not in for repair or broken) it will pull like a mule and it is fast too, though we had the shop knock some top-end off of it.....due to kids riding it too. Take it to the shop and have them look at it. It could be any number of things, since you don`t really give exact details. I have heard the newer models are better than the one we have, but we`ll never know.....as we line up for a Honda. Polaris, never again!
    LTS

270abolt
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/15/02 5:48:14 pm)
    Like I said before.....HONDA>>>HONDA>>>>HONDA

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (8/15/02 7:45:25 pm)
    You all givin' away Polaris's, I'll take them all off your hands, Just ship them on down.

270abolt
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/16/02 7:08:39 pm)
    Shooter.......Will ya at least pay shipping so these folks
    won't be out any more money..............

remember to mark the box "caution glass"

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (8/17/02 5:07:31 pm)
    Hell, I'll come pick them up.

I realize that there is going to be lemons with any manufacturer. It is inherent with Machining, electronics, and all the other technical stuff that makes these things go. I bought the mechanics manual when I bought my 96 Polaris 425. I have changed the oil in it regularly and the tranny fluid. I have never had a problem with my 96. My previous Polaris(93) had a leaky Beltdrive box and the belt slipped once, but I fixed it that day.

What people don't understand about ATV's is that they are just like cars. People are going to brand specific, and defend those choices. I trust my atv to get me in and out of the woods. It is something my wheelchair can not do. I have put my faith in Polaris. I will defend it tili it lets me down.

My personal choice for Polaris come from its initial design. One had braking, no shifting, foot floorboards, decompressed for hand pull starting if necessary, bigger seat, more plush ride(not a racer set up). I feel that they almost designed it for a person in a wheelchair.

What really amazes me is that everybody b!tches about Polaris, yet all the major manufacturers copied the floorboard, the auto tranny, dics braking all around.

I love my Polaris, but I would also take a Honda, a Yamaha, Maybe even a Kaw.(cow)--a personal joke between me and my brother.

270abolt
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/18/02 11:11:42 am)
    I'm with ya shooter............There's good and bad in all of dem

cointoss 2
    *TFF Staff*
    (8/18/02 11:52:29 am)
    Shooter I'll second you on the thumbs up about Polaris. Exactly as you state, like anything else, whether it be cars, trucks, firearms, or even woemen, everyone feels their brand is the best and I am no exception.
    cointoss2

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/18/02 1:07:24 pm)
    Well, that may be the case in some things....but!, Polaris has the highest recall rate of any manufacture, well over 100,000 units in their ATV and snowmobile lines since 1998. They are not the leader in manufacturing either. So for the number of machines they sell/produce, they are about ten fold on recalls or inferior built machines. They are the K-Cars of the day.

Edited by: LIKTOSHOOT at: 8/18/02 3:30:47 pm

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (8/18/02 9:39:36 pm)
    LTS, put that tongue back in your mouth, or I'll box it!