The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
TFFWPP President
14,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
but it is getting close to time to buy.

I am in the market for an autoloader 12g. I have narrowed it down to the Versamax and the Browning Maxus. doing some reading I am wondering if I should include a Winchester SX3 in my list. As I understand it is available in 3" or 3 1/2". Will the 3 1/2" work with 3" to serve double duty as a duck gun or am I stuck with the big Honker Killer loads?

·
Premium Member
34,364 Posts
I shot my first duck 53 years ago, and all we had back then was 2 3/4" shells. They still work today, and they don't kick your head off! I like the auto loaders too! Buy it with the shorty barrel for HD, and then buy the huntiing barrel, or buy the gun with the hunting barrel, and then buy the shorty.

·
Premium Member
22,049 Posts
I hear you on this Carver. I bought some 3" shells for my Mossberg 535 just to see how they worked. Never again.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Look on the used gun racks for a Remington 11-48 shotgun. A variation of John Brownings recoil operated patent, they work very dependably, and there is never a worry about gas vents clogging up. The 12 gauge has killed millions of ducks in the past 120 years. It won't knock your shoulders out of joint. One problem, like Savage 99's people don't trade good dependable guns. You'll have to search. About those 3 inch shot shells. I have a very nice Ithaca 20 gauge O/U chambered for 3 inch shells. Loaded with those the gun doubles every time. Factory repair says nothing is wrong with gun, so I don't shoot 3 inch shells in that gun. Great on grouse with 23/4 shells.

·
TFFWPP President
14,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have yet to even pull the trigger but from what numerous sources state it is very fast. I simply can't wait until next weekend to try it out.

now, here's the "fun" part. my wife doesn't know yet that I bought it. especially this close to mother's day and the day after our son's 15th birthday. I was going to get it in black but figured if I got it in camo she would see it and mistake it for an existing gun. don't worry guys. I did not raid our house fund for it. I did some bartering and am doing work for the neighbor lady (deck rebuild). I do have to tell her before father's day rolls around since I have been loudly hankering for this for over a year now. wouldn't it be scary if she bought me one for father's day only to then find out I already have one? gotta get her something real nice next weekend ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.