The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got this gun in a trade a few weeks ago. Although it was (is) missing it's extractor, it fired just fine. But boy was it UGLY. Previous owner had painted the entire gun green.
The 1st thing I did was strip all the green paint off. And in doing so the original finish also came off. Tried to cold blue barrel & slide, but discovered that they are made of stainless. So blue wouldn't stick. So I had them Duracoated gloss black. Left the frame natural for the two tone effect. Next I still had the ugly green grips. A new set is $40. So I figured what the heck. I can't make these look any worse. So I painted them back black with a Sharpie. Incredibly the Sharpie ink sticks to the grips great and doesn't rub off.
At any rate, it IMO looks much better than it did.
1st pic is of gun with most green paint off. 2nd pic is gun now

Attachments

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW: I ordered the 3 needed extractor parts from S&W. But only one was sent. The other two are on BACK-ORDER. Who knew S&W buys at least some of their parts?

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
That's gonna make a fun little shooter there, I like the two-tone. Black and stainless is my favorite finish.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Same here as woolly, I like the looks of black and stainless as well.
You sure did bring it along a good ways on what it did look like!
Looks good and the 22A that I've shot in the past, very good shooter, just picky on what ammo it'd feed. It didnt like the Federal's 36gr. Copper JRN.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This one likes Federal bulk.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Not a bad trade for a few boxes of 9MM ammo. So far I've put about $50. into it on parts (Ejector and several recoil buffers) and the Dura-Coating.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Here's what a 22a will do at 50 yrds

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WOW! JUST WOW! You weren't wooffing about the accuracy of the .22A. When I got the gun, I took it out in my back yard and ran a mag full (Fed Bulk) through it. Just to see if it would fire. And it did w/o hiccup. But today is the 1st time I took it to the range.
The range to me is a tall shale hill that washed out on one side where pretty much everyone in our rural area shoots. Lately I had been taking a neighbor boy out there shooting at Clay Pigeons (W/.22 rifle). So I didn't take any targets. I knew there would be lots of pigeon shards about.
I've been trading gun for 40 years. Starting as a youngster when I would buy guns at garage sales (often broken ones). Many many many guns have passed through my hands as I acquired them, shot them, took em apart, put em back together and basically got to know everything about them. Then got bored and sold or traded them off for something different. But every now and then you get one that's just too dang good to let go of. My Ruger NM Single Six. And old H&R REG-LAR that was also a project gun that turned out to be a tack driver. And this S&W .22A is one of them.
By far exceeded my expectations of good .22 handgun accuracy. I was shooting these increasingly smaller shards of clay pigeons at about 30 yrds. And hitting them w/ease. I finally ran out of targets. This thing shoots better than many rifles I've had out there. I guess I better buy it a storage case. I'm keeping it!

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
The iron sights on the 22A leave a lot to be desired for me, just too heavy.
Scope it then watch it drive tacks
I have a cheap 1.5 Charles Daly on mine

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Very nice, 22WRF!
I like the grips you gave on yours...
Nice shooting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts