The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my third new LNL press from Hornady today. The first two had indexing issues, but it seems like they got the problem fixed this time. The problems all centered around the shell plate holder not maintaining the correct adjustment or not lining up exactly over the primer punch like it should.

The new one that came today is far and away better than the first two. It lines up without hesitation every time. I primed 100 9mm and 100 40 smith cases without a missed primer and that has never happened before.

There was also a hand written note in the box from the guy that checked out the old press. He explained, in some detail, what was wrong and how he checked out and adjusted the new one to make sure it worked like it should.

Even though it has been a sometimes frustrating experience I am happy with the final (I hope) results. The CS guys have been great.

·
Registered
9,415 Posts
The problems all centered around the shell plate holder not maintaining the correct adjustment or not lining up exactly over the primer punch like it should.
Steve, I am making a series of videos about setting up the Hornady LNL progressive press. I have made two videos so far and the second one directly addresses the shell plate. I will be coming out with a video on the priming system but that will be about a week or so.

This is the first and it is an introductory video.

I hope they help. I was nervous at first and it is hard to think about what I wanted to say, then say it, and concentrate at the same time so they are what they are. Let me know if they help you.

Jim

·
Premium Member
34,364 Posts
The more moving parts a machine has, the more you pull your hair out!

·
Premium Member
34,364 Posts
Me too!

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am really pleased with the new press. It has a different feel than the first two. If I lowered the ram very slowly on the first two the shell plate would never index properly it would be off by about 1/16". Then I had to move the arm just slightly and the plate would click into position. The new press does not do that. If I lower the ram very slowly the plate clicks into position like it should.

It appears Hornady had some manufacturing problems with the frame. I'm not sure exactly what they were, but this press has a smoother and crisp feel that the others did not have.

·
Registered
19,202 Posts
wow.. i hope it works for you.

these kinds of messages mke me SO GLAD i bought a single stage press that worked, the first time, right out o fhte box.. I'f i'd have had to send my rockchucker back 3x.. I'd not be using rcbs I think....

·
Registered
607 Posts
I gave up after 5 months of total frustration with the Hornady LNL progressive press

had dozens of serios isssues.....

DO NOT BUY HORNADY PRODUCTS - THEY HAVE SERIOUS QUALITY CONTROL ISSSUES

I bought a Dillon and I'm not looking back....

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
^^^ the LnL requires a little tweaking, I had to take out the shaft that connects to the shell plate and turn it down on my lathe a few mils and then it ran like a champ... LnL is only for tinkerers, but the reward is there as it is a much better design IMO

·
Registered
10,056 Posts
carver has it right....the Hornady Progressive LnL has too many parts (that would be the mechanism that auto indexes the table). You get none of that excessive parts problem with the Dillon RL550B because it does not auto index.

So how come I'm going bald????? I have fewer parts!

LDBennett

·
Registered
9,415 Posts
carver has it right....the Hornady Progressive LnL has too many parts (that would be the mechanism that auto indexes the table). You get none of that excessive parts problem with the Dillon RL550B because it does not auto index.

LDBennett
Bennett, the real reason we are going bald is because we are thinkers. We are always scratching our heads. Well that is the reason I am bald,,,, I think.

·
Registered
9,415 Posts

LDBennett
The only way that something can have too many parts is if it won't EVER work. The LNL Progressive press WILL work provided the individual can dial it in. The Dillon is stright forward and it is a heck of a good press but the LNL had potential as well. So far, since I have figured mine out I have been able to help a few others.

I like the fact that the LNL indexes. Once they are dialed in they are set to go.

·
Registered
10,056 Posts
76Highboy:

The LnL is probably a very good press but is it not interesting that the very feature that separates the Dillon RL550B and LNL is the very feature that has been giving a few here fits. I truly believe auto indexing is superfluous. The effort to manually index by hand for the RL550B is minimal and instinctual once you learn the press. All it does on the LnL is add complication and apparently is touchy to adjust (??). But that, of course, is just my opinion.

LDBennett

·
Registered
9,415 Posts
76Highboy:

The LnL is probably a very good press but is it not interesting that the very feature that separates the Dillon RL550B and LNL is the very feature that has been giving a few here fits. I truly believe auto indexing is superfluous. The effort to manually index by hand for the RL550B is minimal and instinctual once you learn the press. All it does on the LnL is add complication and apparently is touchy to adjust (??). But that, of course, is just my opinion.

LDBennett
In all fairness the Hornady has a lot of moving parts. The press I have now is my second one because my first one was unfixable. When I got my second press back it worked great until I went to reload anything with small primers. That frustrated my and when I ran the .357 I had eject issues. I wanted to take a baseball bat to it. However after scratching my head (the bald spot) I took the small riming shuttle to a fine stone and I worked my baseplate with some emery cloth and that took care of both problems.

One thing I have learned is sometimes when guys can't get their brass to align with their priming ram and reloaing dies they begin adjusting the timing on the auto indexing when in reality it is a slghtly loose shell plate. A simple lock washer on the shell plate takes care of that.

LD, I know Dillon is better in many ways, but IMO the Hornady can work BUT, it takes a little more mechanical aptitude to get things dialed in. My press rocks and I am enjoying it.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Interstingly enough, my LNL has worked flawlessly out of the box, and has never needed support, repairs or special attention. I attribute many of the issues known with the LNL AP to new reloaders; coming off the starting gate frustrated because they not only are nieve to the reloading process as a whole, but also attempting to get a semi complex machine to accomplish the task they are not yet sure of in the first place. No offense to anyone (highboy :)) but I do enjoy the blue boys jumping at the chance to dig on the LNL before placing a hand on one.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.