The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built a work bench in my garage about 15 years ago before I started reloading. As a straight work bench it is excellent, but I didn't like it that much as a reloading bench. The main problem was the top is made from 2 X 12s and they absorb oil and are kinda hard to clean off because stuff gets in the cracks between the boards.

I went to Lowes to get plywood to cover the top and give a smoother, easier to clean surface. As I was going to the lumber dept I happen to pas the flooring section and saw some laminated flooring on sale for $0.68 per Sq Ft and that was cheaper than plywood. It was very thin and felt kind of flimsy, but decided to try it out anyway.

It was easy to install and works very good for a bench top. It is impervious to oil, cleaning solvents, grease, and anything else I have spilled or dripped and it looks a lot better than plywood. Here are before & after shots.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,745 Posts
Good idea with the bench top. Looks like a nice set up. I see you live in Al, so having your bench in your garage helps you beat the freezing winter cold temps we have here in the north.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Great idea. Paint will work too! But the laminated flooring works just as well, if not better, and I have some left over from doing my living room.

·
Super Moderator
28,034 Posts
It looks good and you already have the strength from the 2x's. Good and sturdy.

·
Registered
711 Posts
This may be just me but I keep all of my solvents and oils and cleaning supplys away from my loading area. And if my press or any of my other machines needs lubing I use grafite powder. That's just what I learned to do along time ago from an old friend that taught me the basics of reloading. I am also very, very careful with case lube if I am useing it. Most of my dies are now carbide for pistols anyway. It maybe that I am just overly careful. But I ain't changing now.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good idea with the bench top. Looks like a nice set up. I see you live in Al, so having your bench in your garage helps you beat the freezing winter cold temps we have here in the north.
That's true for the winter, but in the summer it gets kind of rough. It was 90 deg here today with 60% humidity and that made it unpleasant in the garage with no air movement. Think I'm going to break down and buy one of those portable air conditioners. A regular fan just does not do much as far as cooling when the humidity is that high.

·
Premium Member
3,922 Posts
Really nice Steve. I like the laminate. When I was living in Louisiana a neighbor had a window a/c he was getting rid of and gave it to me. It was just a 110v unit but I just cut a hole in the side of the garage and installed it that way and it did a good job in the garage/workshop.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
i think i'm goig to move my relaod bench to a new room once we reorganize the house... should have more room then..

·
Registered
294 Posts
I use the squirrel cage blower out of an old furnace in my garage.

In fact I have two one I have on wheels so I can move it around the other is bolted to a platform up in the rafters. I riveted a thin piece of sheet steel over the front of the fan cut a 18 inch hole in it and riveted an 18 inch duct flange to it. Taped every thing up with 100 MPH tape. I then ran 18 inch flexi duct over to the end wall above the main door where I have an air vent to the outside.

Both of these fans were built to move air throughout an entire house. They ventilate the one car garage I use as my workshop really well. If I need to work on my car the one on wheels does the job in my other garage but I am thinking of installing that one in the ceiling of that garage... someday.

Check with a local heating contractor. They might be willing to just give you one out of an old furnace they replaced.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
That's true for the winter, but in the summer it gets kind of rough. It was 90 deg here today with 60% humidity and that made it unpleasant in the garage with no air movement. Think I'm going to break down and buy one of those portable air conditioners. A regular fan just does not do much as far as cooling when the humidity is that high.
My advice, for what it's worth, is to install an AC. A window unit will work fine, and they remove all the humidity from the air. Install it high on a wall, cold air falls, and be sure that the air flow is not directed at your reloading bench. Moving air plays havoc with beam scales, or electronic scales.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Hey that bench top looks great, a few years ago I put a wood floor in my kitchen. I have a whole box of 3/8 Brazilian cherry flooring by Bela Wood. It's been sitting in the basement for years now. I just may use it for my bench top. I have a 3/4 sheet of plywood for the base and ill just staple the flooring into it with my stapler I got for the flooring. I'm really gunna think about that. It's such a good idea. Nice job stev32k.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts