The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and last one, number 4

Pasting in my original test from the first post:------------------------Hi all, long time watcher here, though haven't posted, but thought this would be a good question for the Pros!

I found four antique percussion firearms, including 2 double barrel and two single barrel pieces. Other than appearing to be from the mid-late 1800s, I don't know much about them, what they are or any value. I want to know if these are collectibles and if so, rough valuations in either "as-is" condition or restored or if these are just crude barn guns pieced together. Local gun shop owners didn't know. The store is asking ~$175-$300 each for them. I am more up to speed on modern firearms, not these older pieces.

They all show wear and aging but generally appear "complete". Oddly, I don't see any manufacturer/armorer name anywhere on them, no serials and no other location/date markings, but the receivers on the double barrels have some decorative engravings and one double has a checkered stock. Now they are in an antique store so I could not take barrels off to look for any markings and the store owner was not crazy of me taking these photos so some are a little blurry, apologize for that. They appear to have an aged patina, some surface rust and some cracks, misalignments of some screws/plates that if valuable, would need to be repaired.

Any help in identifying these would be very appreciated! Thanks in advance. Below is firearm number 1. Will post others in another message.

Rob

·
Premium Member
12,361 Posts
A picture of the entire piece would have helped a lot. Rifle/smoothbore? Which one is this? The trigger guard could be either American or British/European.

Your time frame sounds right.

It isn't odd you don't see any marks. It would have been more unusual if you had found any, unless they were former military firearms.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A picture of the entire piece would have helped a lot. Rifle/smoothbore? Which one is this? The trigger guard could be either American or British/European.

Your time frame sounds right.

It isn't odd you don't see any marks. It would have been more unusual if you had found any, unless they were former military firearms.
Thanks Sharps, appreciate your thoughts. I'll see if I can get any more pics, including the barrel/bore and full length shots.

·
Registered
9,829 Posts
As it is we can't even tell if it's a half sock or a full stock. With only one trigger and a flat butt plate, I suspect it's a fowling piece.

Reactions: sharps4590

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Happy new year all. I went back to the that store today. Just found a proof mark on one, above, indicating it might be Belgian, mid-late 1800s? I also posted a few more pics...Does that help provide some more detail?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a shotgun just like this one. Mine was handed down by my 3xgrandfather. It is a 15 gauge, and I still use it during the early squirrel season when the leaves are still on the trees.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts