Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

Mystery Mauser

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Cogswell8, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Cogswell8

Cogswell8 New Member

IMG_5014.JPG IMG_5015.JPG IMG_5018.JPG IMG_5020.JPG IMG_5015.JPG IMG_5017.JPG IMG_5022.JPG IMG_5023.JPG Ladies and Gentlemen,

I recently purchased this rifle at an estate auction - so I know nothing of its history. The price was so cheap - and I have a couple of other "antiques" so I thought it was a good idea (we'll see).

I've done a little research, but haven't gotten far. I'm guessing this is a Mauser, but the markings are lacking. The only thing I can find is "B9212" with what looks to be a maker's mark. The receiver markings are almost worn off.

Any thoughts? Let me know if there is somewhere else I should be looking for marks.

Thanks,
    Cogswell

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I want to say that it looks like a 1903-A3, but not 100% sure. I would like to see a picture of the whole rifle, both sides, if possible.

3. Cogswell8

Cogswell8 New Member

IMG_5024.JPG IMG_5025.JPG Here are the pics of the whole gun - thanks!

4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Nope, not a 1903-A3. It is a mauser, without a doubt, but without being able to read what it has over the chamber, it would be hard to tell you exactly what it is. I can tell you that it has been customized (with the stock cut down) and the rear sight is missing some of its parts. I have three mausers from different countries, and I just went down and looked at. The actions on all three of them look like the action on yours. Hopefully someone with a lot more knowledge than me will come along to help you!

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  5. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

Model 93 Spanish Mauser. It has been modified and is no longer in military configuration.

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  6. Cogswell8

Cogswell8 New Member

Thanks for all the info! Should at least make a good wall hanger.

What caliber is it? Wouldn't mind taking it to a range at least once.

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  7. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

Oviedo (Arsenal). Rear sight configuration suggests it's a Model 1895 Short Rifle.

8. nmckenzie

Assuming it hasn't been converted to the Spanish 7.62x51mmCETME cartridge it's probably still in the original 7x57mm Mauser caliber.

9. Old Guns

Old Guns Well-Known Member

Someone has ground the receiver and barrel to look like one piece. This is a critical area and may have rendered the gun unsafe. It should look like the picture below. A Mauser Barrel does not have a very long threaded section.

0012-2.jpg

Kweeksdraw, Twicepop and orion340 like this.
  10. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

There is no defining division between the barrel and the receiver. "Old Guns" posted that it appears that someone has ground the end of the receiver to match the barrel contour, he might be spot on with that. If that's the case, I would never touch of a round in that gun, the receiver strength and maybe even the barrel have been compromised.

Grizzley1 likes this.
  11. nmckenzie

Once knew a guy who'd done exactly that to US M1917 he'd bought from the DCM. Not only did he taper the receiver ring, but he continued this process going forward over the chamber. The barreled action looked like a pool cue by the time he was finished. No idea if he ever fired it.

12. roundball

roundball Active Member

Bet it would help get a better view of the left side of the receiver. That looks like a 93 bolt in some sort of 98 looking receiver. Note the thumb cut in the left of the receiver. There may be a seam where the barrel and receiver screw together way forward of most any Mauser. That is a strange wall hanger.

13. Cogswell8

Cogswell8 New Member

Y'all are amazing! It'll have to just hang over the Chinese Mosin I have. That one is full military and does fire (kicks like an angry mule!)

Thanks again! IMG_5035.JPG