mystery pistol

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by peter.hall07, Apr 1, 2009.

1. peter.hall07

peter.hall07 New Member

so the only marking i found was "R" stamped in the handles and inside and the #3839. the action is still good just a little rust.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

It could be by one of a hundred different makers. These were turned out in the late 1880s and early 1900's by the train load. Some didn't even have rifling. Just for giggles and grins I browsed throught my Flayderman's, some close but no match. With no makers name or even a trade name it has to be one of the cheaper ones. These were sold in hardware stores and mail order ( Sears was a big seller ) for as little as $1.75 or less. Sorry about that.

3. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

4. peter.hall07

peter.hall07 New Member

5. peter.hall07

peter.hall07 New Member

this one is rifled, is there anything i can check to find a maker, like a stamp inside it or something

6. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

7. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Thats a fair offer for an unmarked " special "

8. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Here it is, from Flayderman's. Yours is missing the ejector on right side, and looks like it's been painted with black lacquer, with traces of silver plate showing where paint has flaked off. The barrel marking might still be visible on top rib if paint removed.

Attached Files:

9. peter.hall07

peter.hall07 New Member

dude you rock! thanks for researching that. and after removing a little paint on the cylinder it did reveal the two-line patent date.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009