The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went into town yesterday. Pretty much a wasted trip, so on the way back home I swung by Sportsman's Warehouse - just the odd chance MAYBE they had some powder I could use. Nothing - Zip - Nada. The firearm section had a few .22 pistols, a couple of Glocks, a few expensive grade shotguns and an odd this-or-that.

No bullets. They had a few cans of odd-ball powder 'in the back room' but didn't put out a list to be able to check to see if those were useful. I asked about primers and just got a laugh from the counter guy. A man before me had bought a Clock and a Benelli shotgun (big bucks), and the counter guy "managed" to find two boxes of 9mm ammo behind the counter for him. You spend big dollars and maybe they can find a little ammo for you?

I have enough ammo already loaded up to last a very long time, and enough reloading components to reload anything I wanted to burn through. As I was looking at the bare shelves, an old guy (even older than me) walks up and says "You people should have stocked up already - it's too late now".

He was a PITA, but he was right. It would be foolish for anyone to burn up what they have right now - unless you just wanted your weapons to be used as clubs when you need them. I'm suspecting that Gun Club and public shooting ranges will be as quiet as graveyards for the next four years. Might be noisy for the short term as people go thru like normal and expend their resources, but once they run out - that will be it for a long time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My range has a little .22 Short and LR, some 9MM, and some 7.62x39. Enough to keep in practice. I can get 2 boxes for shooting at the range, and 2 more to bring home. This is up from 1 box, range only, last month.
Another LGS up the street has ammo, no limit. You're gonna pay. 59.95/box for Blazer aluminum case .38 sp +P, but I needed some. Haven't seen .357 Mag for months.

·
Registered
7,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A few years back I bought maybe 5 boxes of "quiet.22s" just to try them out. I've got several thousand .22 CCI Long Rifle in my stash - and that is where it will stay for a while. The Quiet .22s will do for practice shooting. Won't use those for anything else. They won't cycle my 10/22s, the AR adapters or the Ruger Standard Model, but will work just fine in revolvers or Pop's 67A..

·
Registered
22 Posts
goldsboro,no no ammo at either of the two local Walmart . . About 14 boxes of high dollar turkey loads at dicks ,none at Dunham . Limited ammo at two local gun stores but at close to normal prices ,but most is limited to sale with purchase of gun. Large regional sports center / dealer in next town very limited inventory of guns . Maybe about 1/4 of what is normally in stock again no ammo or at most one box with gun purchase

·
Registered
7,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
goldsboro,no no ammo at either of the two local Walmart . . About 14 boxes of high dollar turkey loads at dicks ,none at Dunham . Limited ammo at two local gun stores but at close to normal prices ,but most is limited to sale with purchase of gun. Large regional sports center / dealer in next town very limited inventory of guns . Maybe about 1/4 of what is normally in stock again no ammo or at most one box with gun purchase
Then those who do still sell firearms reserve any ammunition they have to reward those who purchase firearms from them. If I still had any firearms I would use that as a reason NOT to purchase anything from them in the future.

·
Super Moderator
26,975 Posts
I went into Rural King yesterday, they had no ammo and only 6 handguns in the case. I went in looking for a Ruger Wrangler, they had 3 of them and a Heritage. Apparently the saleman didn't want to sell anything, he just sat in the corner talking to his buddy.

·
Premium Member
19,607 Posts
I am not buying any guns until ammo becomes available. I don't need anything to help me deplete my stash of ammo. If ammo never becomes available again I sure don't need more guns I can't use.

I think I may start reloading shotgun and pistol ammo. That is if primers and powder return.

·
Registered
17,785 Posts
Went into town yesterday. Pretty much a wasted trip, so on the way back home I swung by Sportsman's Warehouse - just the odd chance MAYBE they had some powder I could use. Nothing - Zip - Nada. The firearm section had a few .22 pistols, a couple of Glocks, a few expensive grade shotguns and an odd this-or-that.

No bullets. They had a few cans of odd-ball powder 'in the back room' but didn't put out a list to be able to check to see if those were useful. I asked about primers and just got a laugh from the counter guy. A man before me had bought a Clock and a Benelli shotgun (big bucks), and the counter guy "managed" to find two boxes of 9mm ammo behind the counter for him. You spend big dollars and maybe they can find a little ammo for you?

I have enough ammo already loaded up to last a very long time, and enough reloading components to reload anything I wanted to burn through. As I was looking at the bare shelves, an old guy (even older than me) walks up and says "You people should have stocked up already - it's too late now".

He was a PITA, but he was right. It would be foolish for anyone to burn up what they have right now - unless you just wanted your weapons to be used as clubs when you need them. I'm suspecting that Gun Club and public shooting ranges will be as quiet as graveyards for the next four years. Might be noisy for the short term as people go thru like normal and expend their resources, but once they run out - that will be it for a long time.
Rural king sometimes does the same with ammo..if they are ultra low.. They will sell a box to gun buyers.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
I stopped at Sportsman's warehouse the other day. It was pitiful, a couple boxes of 350 legend, some 450 bushmaster and a couple boxes of 6mm. No powder, no primers, no brass except some overpriced 25 WSSM. They had no rimfire at all. They had a few handguns and a bunch of shotguns, mostly high end stuff. Pretty sad state of affairs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts