The Firearms Forum banner

nagant revolver and 32acp cylinder

11K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  soundguy 
#1 ·
I have a couple nagents.. and while at a show this weekend saw a cyl in a case. guy selling it had no idea what it was.. I was reasob=nably sure it was a 32acp cyl.. I could see the chamber cut and looked deep enough for 32acp..etc.

anyway.. offered 20$.. he sold it. ( good price? )

anyway.

I checked fit on both my nagants and it clocks perfectly, functions perfectly ( manual checking stuff.. no live fire ), and of course, is chamberd for 32acp.

now.. that said.. looking at my revolvers..

appears i am seeing a 1919 and a 1949 ( i'm not up on ruskie revolvers ).. is either one particularly more suited to taking this conversion than the other? IE.. is a later or earlier gun more strong.. better..e tc? etc?

#2 ·
You got a great deal. That's about half price.

If the cylinder works in both of your Nagants you are lucky. Often, those .32ACP cylinders needed to be fitted. They are an after market item, not military.

Either one of your revolvers would be strong enough to use that cylinder. The question is which one of your Nagant revolvers will shoot the best with it.

#5 ·
well.. mea culpa :(

my eyes read it wrong.

it's a 1943 the 3 is stamped light on the low sidejust saw part of the top oval and some of the back rib at the bottom and my eyes told me '9'

i rubbed some white crayon over it and used a good light and the '3' stands out good now.

sorry for the false alarm!

#6 ·
When the Nagants were still new to the US, the proper ammo was very scarce and when found or ordered very expensive, up to 50 dollars a box. Now ammo is readily available and even surplus is out there the need for a 32 ACP cylinder is no longer as necessary as before because Nagant ammo is as cheap or cheaper then 32. I have also read that the dearth of cylinders is because of liability issues, the higher pressure or burn rate of the 32 ACP was cracking the forcing cones. Most of the 32 cylinders drop right in with no problems, sometimes they require timing of the hand. 20 dollars is a good price, the last ones ( it's been a while ) wee price at 40 dollars.

#7 ·
Didn't know this - thanks guys. I've been looking at getting a Nagant for my collection. Finding a .32 cylinder that is decent would also be a plus. I didn't know that any .32 cylinders had even been made for them.

#8 ·
Didn't know this - thanks guys. I've been looking at getting a Nagant for my collection. Finding a .32 cylinder that is decent would also be a plus. I didn't know that any .32 cylinders had even been made for them.
I believe the .32acp cylinders were made in Korea, and seem to recollect some issues regarding fit. In other words, some fit, others didn't.

#9 ·
. I have also read that the dearth of cylinders is because of liability issues, the higher pressure or burn rate of the 32 ACP was cracking the forcing cones. .
so the 32acp is going to damage my gun?

not so sure I want to damage what is otherwise a real nice (95% ) condition gun if 32acp pressure is going to hurt it.

#11 ·
but will the pressure of the 32acp be too much for the gun?

I don't have a book with me.. so no way to compair 32acp with the various 32
s mentioned and compair to the nagant oe round

anyone got a comparison and idea if the 32acp is ok or not?

#12 · (Edited)
I use regular Nagant ammo when I do shoot the old Russian :)) for 50 Years the Russians manufactured a revolver that was obsolete on the day the first gun came off the line :)), so I can only go by second hand information I've read on the all powerful net. The .32 wasn't too much pressure wise, it was the burn rate of the powder, sorta like what happened to the .357 maximum cracking forcing cones. But , then again, I can't attest to that fact personally, it's been awhile since I read it. I had been thinking about getting one but changed my mind.

#13 ·
I have used one of the .32 ACP cylinder in the Nagant revolver and it worked well. There were no signs of excessive pressure. I have read that other M95 Nagant owners have used these cylinders and have also had good results. Many years ago, I fired .32 S&W and .32 S&W long in a Nagant revolver using the original Nagant cylinder. I had no problems with these cartridges, other than cases bulging and cracking the revolver was not damaged. Of course the gas seal won't work unless you are using proper Nagant ammo, that's the only draw back.

#14 ·
well.. io'm froggy abpout trying it. if it won't hurt it pressure wise I'm going to run come parison.

I believe I have some 32 sw and some nagant, and this new 32acp cyl.. will try all and see what they feel like.

#16 ·
i had heard the stories of them not fitting.. figured for 20$ i'd take my chances.

I 'thought' long ago when i got my first nagant that I had ordered a cyl from J&G.. but for the life of me.. I don't think I ever remember actually getting one.. or i got it so long ago and it's lost in some box somewhere.. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.