NASA funding ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ARB, May 6, 2009.

1. ARB

ARB New Member

Does anyone know how much NASA is funded each year? I know there has to be some things they do that are important. Can't we slow down on the amount of trips we take up to space? I know the pointless space station needs to be kept up so that it doesn't end up in my back yard. And who cares if there might have been water on Mars 100,000 years ago? There are more serious problems right now. Am I not seeing something? Let me know.

2. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I would like to see them scrap the ISS. I think it is as international as the UN. We are paying the bulk of the cost to maintain it.

But I would want them to continue with their Moon an Mars mission plans. I want very much to see a sucessfull manned Mars expidition before my time here expires.

3. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

NASA is a work program for the over educated. What usefull items that have come from their over-built, over-wraught, over-funded manned space programs would have been invented by other means.

4. ARB

ARB New Member

I'm in some agreement with you. There is a certain patriotism in space exploration..or used to be. The marvel of unexplored land has always been of interest to me. But, I think there is plenty of uncharted sea floor that could bring amazing finds and may be more beneficial, and cheaper.

5. islenos

islenos Active Member

We need NASA to find a new world that man can live on.
    We will need a penal colony to send all the liberal to.

6. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

NASA is bloated. Put it on a diet. Unless NASA becomes Star Fleet, in that case sign me up:D;):p *strikes dramatic Capt. Kirk pose*

7. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Yep, we find will another world, and will ruin it, as well. (pulling cape tighter over his shoulders) Let's learn to take care of this world, and those on it, before we destroy another.

8. ARB

ARB New Member

That was the conclusion to my original post. Thank you.:)

9. Actually, I must side against the consensus here. I believe far more funds should be expended for space exploration than are currently allocated to NASA. Historically, pure research has ALWAYS paid huge dividends. We should already have a permanent base on the Moon, and a space station far more ambitious than the current ISS in permanent orbit. If we can afford a 4 trillion dollar budget, mostly devoted to social programs and other useless crud, surely we can expend a few billion for scientific exploration. If we don't, someone else will. Consider, for example, the Moon sits on top of the gravity well. What if China, Russia, or some other potential enemy were to emplace missiles there, or in the high orbitals around Earth? If you'll pardon the pun, it would be "all downhill from there." :cool:

10. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Pistol,
    Not to be a W/A, but what is the benefit of a base on the moon, other than a nebulous advantage of lunar weapons placement (negated by land or sea based weapons). I understand that placing a base on the moon would provide employment for many, and excitement for a VERY few, but is that reason enough to do so? It is an alien world, where our very existance is artificial.

I feel tax dollars could be better spent in earthly exploration. We barely understand our world's climate dianamic's, for instance. We are only now beginning to understand our DNA processes and how they relate to our existance.

There are areas of this world where exploration would be beneficial and some who feel the need to explore. Let them do so on this world.

11. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

guess i'm out of step with the majority on this topic too. leave nasa alone. lets clean up the welfare systems, the goverment waste, the illegal probems, oh and the bail out of companies that are now holding their hand out for their piece of the bail out pie.

12. To truly understand this world, we need to understand what is "out there" as well, for all elements of the Universe are related. Despite the common belief, the space program has never actually cost the American taxpayer a single cent. On the contrary, it is the best investment ever made by humankind. Much of the scientific progress of the last half century has come as a direct result of research done for the space program, the computers we are using are but one example among many.

13. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

Pistol, oscarmayer,
    May I humbly come over to your side on this one?
    You want to have a debate on the wasted money in Government, that's one thing. I hope I'm not being nieve in thinking that space exploration transends politics.
    However are we gonna "beam me up" if we don't fund space exploration.:D

14. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

If all elements of the universe/cosmos are related, perhaps then it is not to far-fetched to believe that the elements of the universe reside within all, and can be discovered on this world.

Hmmm, most respectfully, I cannot agree with the conclusion the space program "never cost . . . . a single cent". It cost millions of tax dollars and dozens of lives to develop. Likewise, it seems improbable that computers would not have been 'invented' had we not entered into the 'space race'. (There are some who would offer the opinion that computers aren't a great benefit!:D) 'Computers' were under development prior to WWII, and if the need had arisen, would have been developed as needed. The same might be said for all the other 'progress' laid at the feet of the program.

I'm afraid we must disagree upon this issue. But that's Okay, it's a good feelin' to simply have a safe place TO disagree, and a spirited fellow with which to disagree! :D

15. Indeed true! :D