The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm liquidating a collection for a friend whose grandfather recently passed, and this is one of the items that I cannot get a good estimate for. There is so much conflicting info on the net it makes it difficult to assess it well. I want to make sure that neither the buyer, nor the seller get screwed (and I as the middle man don't get punched in the face either :eek:) So here it is:

1858 Remington New Army .44cal reproduction
The stamp under the loading lever reads "Gregorelli & Uberti GARDONE VT - Italy"
The serial number on the bottom of the butt is 2919
Under the left grip is the number 83 stamped
Under the trigger guard is the number 83 stamped
On the loading lever is the number 83 stamped
On the right side of the frame there is a PN XVIII stamp, with a star in a squiggly circle on top of it. The front of the cylinder has the PN.

Here are some pictures

If anyone needs close ups are certain area shots I'm happy to provide them. (also, that isn't corrosion on the cylinder, it's grease) The basics I read seemed that Uberti and Gregorelli were only partners for a few years, like 1959-1962 or something. Some folks said the guns made during that time were "hand made" and could be more valuable. I have no idea if any of that is true. I will say, it does not have the GU script on it anywhere. Let me know what else you guys would need

GP

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Looks to be a run-of-the-mill reproduction shooter, although the finish looks pretty nice. There may be collectors on the frindges who collect modern foreign reproductions, but I've honestly never met anyone who does collect them. All that being said, it looks like an ordinary cap and ball reproduction, and as such I'd think maybe worth about $150 to $200 on a really good day.

The holster is just a utility holster and wouldn't bring more than $20 to the table. (I used to carry a 7 1/2" SAA hunting/packing in a holster like that, and they are great for protection of the grips and keeping dirt and snow off the pistol!)

I think I'd take the time and complement your friend for his grandfather taking really good care of that pistol. It most likely won't ever be a prized collector's item, but it is obvious that someone appreciated it. If it were my granfather's, I'd just keep it.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
The MSRP on new Uberti Model 1858 New Army Remingtons is about $365.00. Ubertis are considered among the best if not THE best reproductions, but I don't believe yours is particularly valuable. I think if you got $300.00, that would be a fair price. The holster is an inaccurate reproduction--the snap is wrong, the toe of the holster is wrong (should have a leather plug) and I've never seen red lettering on the flap, so it has minimal value to a re-enactor.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Did some checking around with some people that do a lot of trading and selling of bp guns. Seems 300 is going to be top dollar.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really appreciate everyone's input. I'm just not into black powder and thus know little about it. Seems like the general consensus is the $200-$300 range.
It is in excellent condition, with little wear.

@Buffalochip- It's not actually red. It looks that way in the picture, but it's more like a dark tan. You can see in the picture of the cylinder, out of focus and in the background, a slightly more accurate representation of the color. I guess you could call it like dark brown saddle color.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I also have a Navy Arms Remington - serial number 1650 - if General Patton's was made in 1962, mine would be 1960 or so? Mine has the "G U" script on the bottom of the barrel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I also have a Navy Arms Remington - serial number 1650 - if General Patton's was made in 1962, mine would be 1960 or so? Mine has the "G U" script on the bottom of the barrel.
I believe they date them with the Roman Numerals stamped into the frame. The numerals on this one are XVIII which decoded to 1962, as I understand.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
I stand corrected - there ARE people who collect replica firearms. Value wise, I still think that I'm pretty close on the mark in value. Brand new replica 1858s are going in excess of $200 to $300, but in this case it is a used specimen. It is in good condition, so it certainly would not fall into a lower price category.

General, I sincerely hope your buddy gets top dollar for this.

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
I believe they date them with the Roman Numerals stamped into the frame. The numerals on this one are XVIII which decoded to 1962, as I understand.
XVIII is the Roman number for 18 so I don't see how that will translate to 1962

·
Registered
191 Posts
Mine also has XV111 - The Roman numeral must have some other significance.
I bought it at the Gold Rush Gun Shop in San Fransico in 1967. I wonder if that shop is still there.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
It is black powder so it can be mailed directly to someones door. If you have trouble selling it, I would be interested in the $200 to $225 range with the holster.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have it listed for sale in another forum for $225 shipped. If you'd like to have it, you are welcome to it at that price. And as I have read and understand, it can be shipped to your door so I would ship it direct.

WHSmithVI said:
XVIII is the Roman number for 18 so I don't see how that will translate to 1962
See the link hrf posted. That explains the numeral date.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts