The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,433 Posts
No sir, I'm sorry I can't tell which country either. However, you are most correct, that is a cool old pistol!!!

Tell ya what, I just noticed something which might be meaningless. It has a French Amber flint in the jaws. Flints aren't permanent so....but I'm thinking it might be French.

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
6,951 Posts
Very cool find! I have no clue what it is, but I wonder how the heck they kept powder in the frizzen while carrying it in a pocket. Mysteries...

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
6,951 Posts
No sir, I'm sorry I can't tell which country either. However, you are most correct, that is a cool old pistol!!!

Tell ya what, I just noticed something which might be meaningless. It has a French Amber flint in the jaws. Flints aren't permanent so....but I'm thinking it might be French.
Good eye, Sharps! I wouldn't know French Amber flint from Lithuanian Bronze flint, so I haven't a clue...

·
Premium Member
12,433 Posts
If it was loaded and primed, the frizzen was closed and those were belt or sash pistols. Pockets as we know them hadn't been invented yet, except possibly in great coats...and they had very large pockets.

Edit: Back when I was doing a lot of re-enacting and shooting muzzleloader matches I bought some French Amber flints because I'd heard so much about how good they spark and long they last. I believe I bought them from a vendor called "Horst & McCann." That has to have been 15 years ago. Anyway, they really do spark as good as they say and after 75 or more shots the one in my re-enacting/match rifle is still sparking just fine. It is getting pretty worn from firing and knapping so it might be about finished.

I also have a bag of probably 40 left of the black English flints from a fella I can't recall his name. Tom something I think. They spark just as good in my opinion but, you need to knap them more frequently and about 50 shots was the most I could get from a good one. Generally 35 shots and it was time to change.

Then I bought a few that were knapped from supposedly Missouri agate or flint. The guy sure had them shaped nicely, they were shar enough to skin a squirrel and their size was dead on. However, after about 10 shots either the flints were worn out or my rifles ate them.

Reactions: rawright54
1 - 8 of 8 Posts