The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new to reloading and forums, and in need of a little direction/help. My son started hunting last year and we got him a .410. I knew ammo was scarce but I haven’t been able to buy a single box over the last year. If I can find some it’s the high end loads that I can’t justify a seven year old sending down range. However, we’ve beg borrowed and stole shells from family members to get by and just had his first dove hunt and now he’s hooked. Which leaves me in a bit of a bind. I can find any hulls or wads, being from California we have to shoot non tox and the only wads I’ve researched that are good for that is the tps from bpi. So any help on where I can find hulls or wads or whether there is a good substitute for those tps and what hulls would be best and available for non tox reloading would be much appreciated. Already tried the local ranges and shops around town and no dice there. Thanks for any help you can offer

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks gudaki just went on there I must have missed it earlier I see they do have them in stock. Also found out I can load bismuth with different style wads because it is closer to lead density, so that will help me out as well

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Chris, I'm in the same Calif boat, two cases of lead .410 I can't use anymore! "IF" you can find it, Bismuth is running $60+ a box!, or Heavy shot a little cheaper.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea it’s tough out here man. I’m getting closer. Today I got my hulls, 2.5 in Cheddites, and I got some mg410 wads, if anybody knows a good all around non tox load I can do with these, I held off on ordering shot and going to do some research and keep trying to find primers and powder. Really hoping I can do a bismuth 6 load that at least he can use on dove, quail and squirrels. Let me know if you guys have an in on primers or any info on a good recipe or what powder works best with non tox and if I can even use those mg 410s with bismuth. Looking at Alliant 410 as the powder but haven’t found any of that. From what I’ve read all 209 primers are pretty much the same. Let me know if I’m wrong on any of that though.

Really wish I could have found some 3in hulls but I’m just buying what I can right now. Beggars can’t be choosers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts