The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
TFFWPP President
14,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my .270 has an attitude if I give it anything other than neck-sized hand loads.

besides having rounds specific to a certain rifle is there a bad side to neck sizing only?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
A bad side? Not really. Of course, depending on rifle, you MAY have to F.L. resize eventually,(Some manufacturers recommend it) although I've gotten away with not doing it for several reloads on a couple of varmint guns.
If it's a hunting rifle, you should make sure the brass fits before reloading it entirely, just so you don't have jams in the field, but that goes with all reloaded hunting ammo, IMO. Don't want to blow that once in a lifetime shot.
One more thing, I only neck size brass used in bolt rifles, MOST people recommend F.L. for auto loaders and levers and pumps, due to extractor issues and cycling functions. YMMV.

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
my .270 has an attitude if I give it anything other than neck-sized hand loads.

besides having rounds specific to a certain rifle is there a bad side to neck sizing only?
If you cannot get your 270 to accept anything but Neck sized brass, then there is something wrong with your FL die set-up or the die itself. My guess would be that you do not have the die turned into the press far enough.

If you are talking accuracy attitude then disregard my above comment.

·
Super Moderator
30,527 Posts
Does it have an attitude problem with factory ammo? If so, have you tried different weight bullets? I've got one Rem 270 that loves 130 grn bullets and one that loves 150 grn bullets. You have to surf your rifles to see what they like to eat.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Does it have an attitude problem with factory ammo?
Good point to start here, if you are having problems with factory ammo prior to discovering issues with handloads I'd be investigating your chamber a little closer.

·
Registered
18,746 Posts
yep.. more info.. will it eat factory ammo.

FL rs should , if amything.. make it have the shoulder bumped back too much.. eading to shortened rass life. not a failure to chamber I would think

·
Registered
71 Posts
You are saying your 270 wont feed or diminish in MO. All standard rifles are headspaced for factory spec cal. My win 270 doesn't like necksized less than .005 from ojive.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Todd, your .270 just needs to have the headspace reset. It is probably on the large side of SAAMI spec, which is why it favors necksized ammo. Have it set to pinch fit (around .001" headspace or less) and it will shoot wonderfully with pretty much whatever you feed it.

I did a .25-06 for a guy a couple weeks back. Set his headspace with a round of the ammo he wanted to use and a piece of scotch tape. It pretty much eliminates the merits of necksizing because there is minimal chamber tolerances and the brass doesnt stretch like it normally would. Course afterwards you prolly wont be able to shoot a round you dropped in the mud thru it.. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts