The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All, I'm new to this forum, in fact first post. I've reloaded for quite a few years but mainly for basic replication, cost savings and bullet selection. However currently have a new rifle in 7mm-08 to feed. With the current ammo situation the fastest way to the range will be to stuff my own... I have primers, powder, 7mm bullets and a few hundred once fired .243 brass. Now the part I'm unsure of. Can I lube the necks and ram the decapper/expander from a normal 7mm-08 die set or do need a special expander. Maybe, I should get a 6.5mm expander and use it before I used the 7mm. This is my dilemma, maybe there is a die set out there better suited to this task before I just buy stuff I don't really need. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
435 Posts
I shoot .260 Rem. Have resize many .243, 7-08, and .308 cases to .260.

I lube inside the neck and use regular RCBS dies.

I clean and check closely, after sizing and anneal the brass, after trimming.

Some say it is necessary, others say it is not.

I get several loadings from my brass.

·
GUNZILLA
8,040 Posts
Would not be a bad idea to anneal your brass also before expanding the necks. I guess you don't have any 308 brass. Welcome to TFF from Texas.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Would not be a bad idea to anneal your brass also before expanding the necks. I guess you don't have any 308 brass. Welcome to TFF from Texas.
Just FYI, CH-4D dies have a long, tapered expander button that makes such conversions easier.
You shouldn't have any problems. Just lube the inside of the case mouth and go slow.
+1, +1 and +1. Annealing before necking up, lubing the inside of the neck and using a tapered expander button will virtually eliminate split or collapsed necks. BTW, RCBS also makes tapered expander buttons. Like everything else, tough to find.

Edit: Forgot an alternative. You could anneal your 243 cases and fireform in your 7mm-08 with a light charge of fast powder and a filler. I put a small piece of tissue paper over the powder, top the case up with grits, cornmeal or cream of wheat, and seal with candle wax. Messy, requires use of scarce primers and powder, but has worked for me.
BTW, Gunzilla makes another good point. It's easier to neck down than it is to neck up. Maybe you could trade for some 308s? I always anneal after necking down. Annealing before pretty much guarantees collapsed shoulders. A bit off-topic, but partial or neck sizing and annealing after every fourth or fifth firing will help accuracy and increase case life,
End of an old man's rambling.

·
Registered
8,434 Posts
Great advice so far!!! Only thing I'd like to add is the case size lube: Just a wee bit will do the job. Too much lube and you get those ugly hydraulic dimples on the case shoulders. Of course it's a balancing act to find the right amount, because too little will result in a stuck case in your die.

·
Premium Member
15,235 Posts
too little will result in a stuck case in your die.
Oh jim, but stuck cases are such fun!! They try your patience, allow you to develop new skills and are great character builders......... :) ......and unless you're profoundly dedicated to clean language, allow for the creation of completely new profanities.....

·
Registered
435 Posts
Oh jim, but stuck cases are such fun!! They try your patience, allow you to develop new skills and are great character builders......... :) ......and unless you're profoundly dedicated to clean language, allow for the creation of completely new profanities.....
I have 4 dies with stuck cases that have refused to budge.
I bought new dies.
Will eventually send them to RCBS, some day, sooner or later; maybe.

Way back, son 8yo (42 now ), I had a Saturday morning project; replace seats in dripping bathtub. Wif told son to watch and learn how to do it.
After 45 mins or so, he wandered to the kitchen.
Wif asked if he was learning anything?
He says, " oh yeah, lots of new words. "

Did I mention how much I hate plumbing?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow! So much good advice in such a short amount of time. I'm sure I could head over to you-tube university and take a few courses to figure out the one thing I'm unfamiliar with that seems consistent with most of the posts. Annealing... In the back of my mind I think this involves heating the neck or shoulder of the case. Then maybe cooling either quickly or slowly. I think I should quit talking now as my ignoramass is showing. All my other dies are RCBS I think. I would guess I will be buying whatever I can find. Thanks for the help.

+1, +1 and +1. Annealing before necking up, lubing the inside of the neck and using a tapered expander button will virtually eliminate split or collapsed necks. BTW, RCBS also makes tapered expander buttons. Like everything else, tough to find.

Edit: Forgot an alternative. You could anneal your 243 cases and fireform in your 7mm-08 with a light charge of fast powder and a filler. I put a small piece of tissue paper over the powder, top the case up with grits, cornmeal or cream of wheat, and seal with candle wax. Messy, requires use of scarce primers and powder, but has worked for me.
BTW, Gunzilla makes another good point. It's easier to neck down than it is to neck up. Maybe you could trade for some 308s? I always anneal after necking down. Annealing before pretty much guarantees collapsed shoulders. A bit off-topic, but partial or neck sizing and annealing after every fourth or fifth firing will help accuracy and increase case life,
End of an old man's rambling.
Did Ben actually say that about beer. I would trade but I may start back up loading for my .243 too . Thanks T2T

·
Premium Member
15,235 Posts
The absolute easiest and an effective way to anneal is simply hold the neck and shoulder of a case at the tip of the blue flame in a propane torch, holding it between your thumb and fore finger and twirl it in the flame. When it starts to get too hot to hold you can drop in a pan of water or let it air cool, it will be the same either way. I promise you, your necks will be near perfectly annealed and you will not have over heated them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts