The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am in need of 2 bullets (just the bullets not cartridges); one for 9mm and one for 380.

Will pay for cost of the 2 bullets AND for the cost of mailing them to me.

·
Super Moderator
40,178 Posts
Am in need of 2 bullets (just the bullets not cartridges); one for 9mm and one for 380.

Will pay for cost of the 2 bullets AND for the cost of mailing them to me.
What weight do you want?

·
Super Moderator
40,178 Posts
Ideally, both same weight or very close to the same.
The smallest 9mm I have is 115 grain and I think the largest .380 I have is 100 grains (may only be 95). I would be happy to send you one of each if you PM your shipping information to me. I might even throw in a 9X18 bullet!

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Two bullets for the 9mm Luger and the .380 Auto of the same weight would be the same bullet. Both are .355 diameter. That is unless I'm missing something here. That's happened before.

·
Super Moderator
40,178 Posts
You are right Jim. I had a brain fart that told me the 9mm was .356.

So are the .357 Sig, .38 Auto, and ,.38 Super Auto!

·
Super Moderator
40,178 Posts
I will blame the brain fart on the fact that on my cast 9mm's, I do size them at .356!:rolleyes:o_O:D

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Two bullets for the 9mm Luger and the .380 Auto of the same weight would be the same bullet. Both are .355 diameter. That is unless I'm missing something here. That's happened before.
jim, I get that both are .355 in diameter but are they the same length from the base to the tip?

·
Super Moderator
26,988 Posts
jim, I get that both are .355 in diameter but are they the same length from the base to the tip?
They should be. You could take two out of the same box and use them for both, theoretically.

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They should be. You could take two out of the same box and use them for both, theoretically.
howlnmad, maybe this is a better question. Is it possible to load one .355 bullet onto a 9 mm case and a second bullet onto a 380 acp case? This may still not be the right question. Thanks

·
Registered
566 Posts
I think that brain fart is infectious because I had not ever considered this fact. I guess the marketing department is responsible for the boxes and the delineating factor is the bullet weight? I.e. if it is 100 gr or less it is labeled as a 380 bullet and if it is 115gr or higher it is marketed as a 9mm?

·
Super Moderator
26,988 Posts
Yes. I can take a box of .355 diameter 115 grain bullets and use the same box of bullets to load both, the 380 and the 9mm. I had to check and see if there was even data for a 115 grain 380 load and there is. So this isn't theory, you can use the exact same bullet for both calibers.

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think that brain fart is infectious because I had not ever considered this fact. I guess the marketing department is responsible for the boxes and the delineating factor is the bullet weight? I.e. if it is 100 gr or less it is labeled as a 380 bullet and if it is 115gr or higher it is marketed as a 9mm?
PlanoAttorney, it might be interesting to take a 9 mm case made by Company X and take a 380 ACP case made by the same company and pull both bullets out and measure the outside diameter and length and weight of each. Then look at each box to see if the bullet weight agrees with the measurements. We all know that companies who produce ANY product will "play games" with consumers - games that favor the company while "stretching" the truth. Classic example are serial boxes; open it up and it is mostly empty space. This means that the company can say that there are X grams when there are something less than X grams and still be within legal limits. And who's going to take a serial company to court because the amount of serial in the box was less than advertised.

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes. I can take a box of .355 diameter 115 grain bullets and use the same box of bullets to load both, the 380 and the 9mm. I had to check and see if there was even data for a 115 grain 380 load and there is. So this isn't theory, you can use the exact same bullet for both calibers.
So, howlnmad, the only difference in your example, assuming the primer, case and powder being used are the same except for a lesser charge in the 380 then the 380 should deliver a lesser muzzle velocity and lesser terminal velocity and terminal energy (foot-pounds) than the 9 mm.

·
Super Moderator
26,988 Posts
So, howlnmad, the only difference in your example, assuming the primer, case and powder being used are the same except for a lesser charge in the 380 then the 380 should deliver a lesser muzzle velocity and lesser terminal velocity and terminal energy (foot-pounds) than the 9 mm.
Correct.
The same principle would apply for the 38 spl/357 mag., 40 s&w/10 mm, 44 spl/44 mag.

Reactions: 270 Petload

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Correct.
The same principle would apply for the 38 spl/357 mag., 40 s&w/10 mm, 44 spl/44 mag.
howlnmad, had not thought about those other combinations but that is because I stick pretty much to the 9mm and the 380 and am on a path to narrow things down to the 9 mm for several reasons. THANKS for the tip; VERY USEFUL.

·
Super Moderator
26,988 Posts
Just to be 100% clear, here is a picture of a Hornady 9mm bullet box
images-6.jpg

These can be used to load both the 380 auto and 9mm auto.

Reactions: BobMcG

·
Registered
652 Posts
Take Hodgdon as an example. They show 380 Auto load data for 80-100gr bullets and 9mm Luger load data for 80-147gr. I've seen some 115gr load data for 380 Auto before so the ideal overlap to use one bullet in both is 100-115gr.

Now how about a bullet for a 308 Winchester and one for a 300 Win Mag?

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Take Hodgdon as an example. They show 380 Auto load data for 80-100gr bullets and 9mm Luger load data for 80-147gr. I've seen some 115gr load data for 380 Auto before so the ideal overlap to use one bullet in both is 100-115gr.

Now how about a bullet for a 308 Winchester and one for a 300 Win Mag?
SteveM, it would seem likely to take a bullet from a 380 ACP box weighing 95 grams and mount in onto a 9 mm case or to take a 9 mm bullet weighing 95 grams and mount it onto a 380 ACP case. They both measure .355 in diameter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts