need 455 webley trim and reload data

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by soundguy, Nov 19, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

working up some cartridges for my webley revolver. It's been shaved for headspace fro moon clips, so i'm going to cut some 45acp shells down this evening so that i can load them like factory 455 instead of trying to match pressure for a lightened 45acp load.

I may also cut down some 45 AR to do the same without the use of moon clips. I have some hornady loads of 455 for a un-shaved colt pistol, but obviously they are of no use to my shaved webley.

I flipped open my speer, sierra, lyman, lee, nosler, and hornady manuals and to my surprise.. no 455 entries at all!!

went to the powder website ( imr/win/hogdon ) and no data on that load available either.

For tonight, I just need some trim data for cutting down some 45acp brass

if any of you have the min/max trim #'s I''' make notes to my inside cover insert on my books.

Not tonight I guess.. But I really need some laod data too.. was dismayed to not find it on the array if industry books I invested in.

my 12th edition cartridges of the world doesn't even directly mention it except to say that you can cut a 455 webley case down a tad to make 45 webley brass. go figure

need help.. have a coupl ehours of non work / non wife time tonight I'd love to use to make brass and do some rifle cartridges up too.

I'm 'guessing' case length has to be in the vicinity of .758 and coal 0f 1.245 ( i know.. will matter less and depend on projectile used.. etc.. matters less.. etc.)

thanks

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Or, if you want to get REAL precise, 0.886, which is overall length, minus 0.039, which is rim-thickness, means length/depth of powder chamber of the case is 0.847.

Now take your handy-dandy caliper and find the depth of the powder chamber of a piece of 45 ACP brass, and subtract. That'll tell you how much you need to remove from the ACP case to give the same powder chamber capacity of the Webley case.

The total length of the modified ACP case should be longer than the 0.886 of a Webley case, because you have a thicker rim/web on the ACP case.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  4. nambu44

nambu44 New Member

Hi,
    in an old cartridges of the world you find caselength 0.77, cartridge 1.23 this with
    the original bullet Mk 2 hollow base. For accurate shooting you need such a bullet, reason
    the exit size of the cylinder is smaller than the bore of the barrel.
    I have much more info, but type slow motion.Watch out not all Webleys where for smokeless powder, only beginning with the Mk. V with a bit bigger cylinder was officially
    built for it.
    Regards
    J.B.

5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Got me curious. I went and found a random piece of 45 ACP brass (Israeli target brass, by the headstamp) and measured it.

Overall length - .890. .008 UNDER max, and only .004 OVER Webley max.

Then I measured the interior. Between .720 and .730, depending on where I did the measurement.

Looks like 45 ACP already has LESS capacity than 455 Webley. You should not have to trim it any.

6. soundguy

weird.

I just pulled a couple of the hornady webley cases I have.. and they aremeasuring in at .759

what gives?
    box is marked 455 webley mk-II 265 lrn

7. soundguy

looks like about a .05 difference in interior of my uncut 45acp and the hornady 455 webley.. acp having the surplus.

my uncut 45acp measures .889

8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The brass you have is Mark II, while the spec I gave you is Mark I. Mark II is when they changed from black powder to cordite, and went to a shorter case to make it burn more efficiently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.455_Webley

9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

10. soundguy

any problem using the mkII ?

11. soundguy