NEED 50 CALIBER CASE

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 270 Petload, Apr 20, 2017.

1. 270 Petload

270 Petload Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My grandson will be coming for a visit this summer. It is time for me to start a conversation with him about reloading. For that I would like to ask someone in TFF to send me a 50 caliber case. It should be excellent as an introduction to the internals of a cartridge. I want to cut a pie-shaped section of the case so that the interior is exposed. With that I can chat with him about Head, Web, Primer Pocket, Flash Hole, etc,. etc.

Anyone out there who could send me a 50 caliber case or two? Thanks

2. CrookCountyGO

CrookCountyGO Well-Known Member

Hello, sir. I assume you want rifle cases. I don't have any of those but I do have a couple of .50 pistol cases.

3. 270 Petload

CrookCountyGO, thank you for your offer. Not familiar with the 50 caliber pistol case; is it bottleneck or is it straight wall?

CrookCountyGO likes this.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I'd bet if you go to a gun show someone will sell you a 50BMG case. The 50 cal pistol case is straight walled. Be prepared to pay several dollars for the 50BMG case as they are not cheap to buy.

I don't know how science minded you grandson might be but the level of education you outlined seems a bit much for a youngster and too much work for you. Maybe a better way is to get the Hornady Reloading Manual with the drawings of how cartridges work during firing with emphasis on how reloading relates to that. The explanation is very good and the pictures very informative. I think they might be able to do a better job at explaining it all than either me or you!

LDBennett

270 Petload likes this.
  5. CrookCountyGO

CrookCountyGO Well-Known Member

I see LD answered your question.

6. 270 Petload

LDBennett, thank you for the tip. I have been to a monthly gun show and all I have seen are beer bottle openers made with 50 cal cases. I'll try again on the first of next month. The other tip about the reloading manual is probably a better bet.