The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
20,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for my .223,

right now, I have a good stock of bulk Midway brand 55 gr FMJ and also some V -Max and some decnet HP of different makes, mostly from 55-75 gr

I want a bullet, in 55-60 gr that is more accurate than a FMJ but don't cost as much as a V-Max and one that can also be good for varmits and smaller game

I am loading with mostly 8208 XBR, and 4198

I would like to hear everyone's opinons on this please

· Registered
102 Posts
Well, there is no free ride. If you want really good accuracy a well made bullet is part of the equation. Best advice I could give is to try different bullets that you feel are in the price range you are looking for and shoot them off the bench (5 or ten shot groups) and see which bullet your rifle likes best. To get an honest estimate of each bullets performance, use the same brand cases with the same primers and the same powder (only adjusting the charge weight to correspond with the bullets weight being tested). If you find what you are looking for, then maybe buying in bulk will save you a little more. Remember too, a bullet that shoots very well in someone else's rifle may not shoot worth a "hoot" in yours. For the best accuracy, I always feel that the higher cost of the right match bullet pays big dividends in the long run. If it will be used for hunting.....there are many hunting bullets out there that will give near or equal "match-grade" results. (Then again your cost will go up) Good luck, on some rifles I have spent a lot of money testing different bullets and powders to "squeeze" out the best groups that I could possibly get. Also remember, if testing bullets, keep the other components the same. Once you find the bullet you like, you might get better accuracy using a different powder. I have found W748 to give me the best accuracy out of my bolt gun with any bullet tested. YOUR results may vary. .223 is not real picky and many different powders work well. When selecting a bullet weight to test....take your rifles rate-of-twist into account too.............I didn't mean to be so long-winded....I hope you find what you are looking for.......That's half the fun anyway...........Don

· Registered
20,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love how the V Max shoot in all of my 223, all of my ARs and my Savage Model 10 PC bolt gun

the 60 gr V Max has given me .300 groups out of my 1/7 twist 20 inch AR

I never looked at the Z Max and didn't know that was the only difference.

· Premium Member
7,842 Posts
I bought Varmint Grenades(55gr)(what a name,huh)from Midway-group under 1" in son's AR.... when we hit various small critters(up to feral dogs)the result was devastating.

· Registered
3,585 Posts
Since no one has mentioned them yet...

The Winchester and Remington bulk 55gr SP are good choices for cheaper hunting bullets.
I've had better results with the Winchesters but have had a couple rifles that like the Remington.
Midway's Dogtown bullets are a bargain price but still decent quality (They're made for Midway by Nosler).
I've used all three of them in .222Rem, .223, and .22-250 with good results considering the price point. They're not match grade but plenty accurate enough for hunting/varmints/etc.

As of late though, my first choice has been the Hornady Vmax for pretty much all of my small varmint calibers.

The hard part is trying to find any .224 bullets in stock right now since everyone is hoarding supplies for .223/5.56.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.