The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an out of warranty Crimson Trace Laserguard that has stopped working. Crimson Trace has advised me they do no repairs nor can they refer me to someone who does repairs.
Any one on this forum that can steer me to such a person?
The YouTube videos are of no help.

·
Super Moderator
29,022 Posts
So, Crimson trace lasers are disposable? That's todays engineers for you....planned obsolescence.
So much for the lifetime warranty they post on their website.
MsMad has a set on her 642, the switch has taken a crap. Crimson Trace won't do a thing about their poor engineering. I'll never buy another laser sight from them.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Just a comment as I have had some success with laser sights in the past. My problem was on a Sig Sauer P 290. Moisture can and will attack the small contact points on the circuit board/ battery connections. I have been able to clean the points with a pencil eraser and contact cleaner and it is still working, 2 years now. I have been successful on two other laser sights, one had broken contact and the other was corrosion. So far I am 3 for 3. I will be happy to look at the unit and let you know what I find, just contact me if I can help.

Larry

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
I think Crimson trace went to hell after the founder sold the business. Not a respected name in the industry as far as I'm concerned. Vortex has a lifetime warranty on their electronic optics, and they honor their warranty and stand behind their product, CT could learn a valuable lesson from Vortex.

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
It's cheaper to replace than repair.
That pertains to electronics in general. Anyone remember your neighborhood TV repair man? At some point in the 70s and 80s the cost of repair approached and sometimes exceeded just getting new.
Pretty hard to compete with mass production by hands that work for pennies. A few years ago I was determined to buy a TV made in America cost be damned...........not possible 😳

·
GUNZILLA
7,580 Posts
So much for the lifetime warranty they post on their website.
That is why I do not believe in lifetime warranties. Once a company is taken over or sold the warranty no longer applies. Look at Nikon for example they made a good quality scope for budget conscious shoppers and their warranty was about 25 years, and now those that bought within that time frame or as little as 3 years ago and they have issues, I wonder how they will honor the warranty, since they stopped making them.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Premium Member
20,325 Posts
I almost bought a Crimson Trace scope earlier this year. I ended up with a Vortex. Now I glad I did. File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and I bet they send you a new one right away. I have had to do this at least 3 times. Any reputable company will settle to get a bad rating removed from the BBB.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is why I do not believe in lifetime warranties. Once a company is taken over or sold the warranty no longer applies. Look at Nikon for example they made a good quality scope for budget conscious shoppers and their warranty was about 25 years, and now those that bought within that time frame or as little as 3 years ago and they have issues, I wonder how they will honor the warranty, since they stopped making them.
You are absolutely right. I found that out with Colt, Dan Wesson (the original) and now Crimson Trace.
I will say that Crimson Trace did give me a 50% off on a replacement even though the old unit was out of warranty (by about 8 years LOL)

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
The king of warranty parts is Dillon,been using their reloaders since 1993,EVERY part I"ve broken,they have replaced-IMMEDIATELY.....Bushnell replaced a "wandering" scope(17 yrs old) I sent in-took 7 months --new scope was a higher quality than what it replaced,,,,,,,Bushnell also replaced a TRS-25 that was 15yrs old,had been on multiple firearms---45/70 or .50 did'nt bother it,it died on a .22,no charge.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The king of warranty parts is Dillon,been using their reloaders since 1993,EVERY part I"ve broken,they have replaced-IMMEDIATELY.....Bushnell replaced a "wandering" scope(17 yrs old) I sent in-took 7 months --new scope was a higher quality than what it replaced,,,,,,,Bushnell also replaced a TRS-25 that was 15yrs old,had been on multiple firearms---45/70 or .50 did'nt bother it,it died on a .22,no charge.
DILLON !!!! Yes, I have two Dillon presses, a Dillion vibrator cleaner and a Dillion Brass Seperator. They have provided a number of replacement (I lost a part)/repair (fatigue failure) parts at no cost. They are great!

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
I stripped the threads on my 1st 550(28yrs)last week-called-shpd part same day from Phoenix to Montgomery-2 days.....been sitting there since...everything going through Montgomery has to visit for at least 2 days.....ah well-tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
42,744 Posts
You probably wouldn't have gotten it today anyway since it is a holiday.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts