Need a little help

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Woodnut, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

I recently purchased a Model 100 .308 Winchester Rifle. I would like to look up the serial number and see when it was made. Can someone please tell me how to do this.

I know from past experience that the Checkered Model 100 was Pre 64. The ones that were made after 64 had embossed checkering. The one I bought is not checkered and has a 5 digit serial number.

Thanks for any help you might can give.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Try this website, about halfway down on the blue left side bar, you find Manufacture date, then click on Winchester. You might check there and find some information.

http://oldguns.net/

3. hawkshaw

hawkshaw New Member

Some mfg.s, if you give them the model number with the serial number will give you a detailed history of the gun.

4. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

Thanks a bunch guys. With your help, I have found out that the gun was manufactured in 1962. Since the M-100 was introduced in 1961, this means mine was the second year of manufacture, which is a good thing.

Thanks again.

5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Had you given the serial number right off, quite a few of us could have given you the date of manufacture. Winchester, Colt and Iver Johnson handgun serial numbers/dates are well documented; other makers are all or part guesswork, though S&W will check the records on an individual gun for a fee.

Jim

6. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

There are no published records of S&W serial numbers, though the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson gives the more modern ones. Other than that it is mostly "between 1907 and 1942" or something like that.

But if you have a specific model and serial number, the S&W historian will check the shipping records and provide information on the date shipped and the condition (blue, nickel, ivory grips, etc.). I think the charge is $50 but you can check the web site www.smith-wesson.com and click on Firearms History Request.

Colt's serial numbers and dates have been published (up to recent times) and they also run a history service. Again the shipping date and to whom the gun was shipped (usually a distributor) will be provided. I think they charge $100. Winchester records are at the Buffalo Bill Historical Center and I think they have the same service.

HTH

Jim

8. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

9. solvend

solvend New Member

Call Winchester and make sure the recall was accomplished on yours. Thers is a firing pin/bolt recall that if not fixed can cause the rifle to go into what they call "slam firing" on Model 100's. Called and checked mine which i inherited from my father and it hasnt been accomplished yet.

winchester can look up your serial number and tell you if its been fixed yet. They also pay i think 40-50$ toward having it professionally disassembled. You send in the old part, they send you the new part 6-8 weeks later and then you reinstall it and your good to go

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011