The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a trip to the range to test and see if it was ammo in my XDs-9 3.3" or my me that was leaving me off target. I think its just me. I just don't shoot that thing that great, especially compared to my 4" XD or my SR-1911. So I'm looking for a 4"-ish barrel pistol that is slim for IWB and summer carry. I know there is a commanders 1911 with the 4.25" barrel but any other options I may be missing? I don't want a thick pistol, so does single stack pretty much limit me to 1911?

P.S. I know SA makes a 4" XDs but I wont give them more money.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a Khar Arms CT-9 that is a single stack 4" barrel. Nothing great, but cheap. Bought it as a truck gun. Fits your bill here.
I'll look into that. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They have a CT-45 as well. Good reviews. I'm going to take another range trip and modify my stance a bit and see if that helps before I purchase anything. Shooting at the range Saturday morning it was like a sauna in there and probably not the best for testing. At least I learned that having those small old school wooden grips on my snubbie was not a good idea for controllability when its remotely moist.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I'll second the Kahr.
Mine fits my hand really well.
My wife does not like it, but for me it just hits the x-ring with every pull of the trigger

Speaking of triggers - it has one of the smoothest triggers of any gun I own. But be ready for a long smooth trigger pull and a long reset.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll second the Kahr.
Mine fits my hand really well.
My wife does not like it, but for me it just hits the x-ring with every pull of the trigger

Speaking of triggers - it has one of the smoothest triggers of any gun I own. But be ready for a long smooth trigger pull and a long reset.
Read that in some reviews as well. Too bad the local range doesn't have one to try.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Read that in some reviews as well. Too bad the local range doesn't have one to try.
Find one at a gun store.
As we all know; You do not choose the gun, the gun chooses you.

Hold it, play with it, handle it. If it feels right be happy with the fact that it is affordable and well made

·
Well-Known Mumbler
Aromatherapy 😍
4,303 Posts
Have you ever handled a Sig P938 or Kimber Micro 9? They aren’t as thin as some of the others, but I find my Sig to be plenty comfortable to carry IWB

Reactions: dbcooper

·
Administrator
12,871 Posts
I love my 1911's but I conceal carry a Ruger LC9s Pro. Feels good in the hand. Very nice trigger and simple to operate.

Reactions: Broot

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you ever handled a Sig P938 or Kimber Micro 9? They aren’t as thin as some of the others, but I find my Sig to be plenty comfortable to carry IWB
I don't really want a micro 1911 type, I'd just go with a 4.25" model. I'm really looking for a 4" barrel.

Reactions: Broot

·
Super Moderator
42,676 Posts
I have one of those 4.25 inch 1911s and am extremely happy with it!

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
Check out the CZ 75 compact. It's a double stack but is only .08" wider than the commander. CZ the best kept secret in firearms.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Check out the CZ 75 compact. It's a double stack but is only .08" wider than the commander. CZ the best kept secret in firearms.
Will do. I love the look of the CZ. Its up there with the high power and 1911 in terms of iconic designs to me.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What's your beef with SA? The xd-m is 4+" and the XD mod2 is 4". I like my xde I like it the best over my other 3 guns.
My accuracy with it is not what I want. I'm not saying the gun is inaccurate, but I'm not accurate with it.

If you are talking about why I won't give them anymore money their actions in Illinois through the IMFA, along with Rock River Arms, has them on my no buy list. I don't buy their excuse or their products.

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
If you want an inexpensive carry gun, and are OK with 9mm, check out the Star BM.
They can be found on the surplus market for under $250.
They are a shameless copy of the 1911 (less the grip safety) with a 4" barrel, and are plenty accurate at handgun distances.
I'm also pretty fond of the Polish Radom P64. That's chambered in 9mm Mak, and the same size as a PPK. But some find the recoil a bit harsh on that one.

·
Registered
963 Posts
My accuracy with it is not what I want. I'm not saying the gun is inaccurate, but I'm not accurate with it.

If you are talking about why I won't give them anymore money their actions in Illinois through the IMFA, along with Rock River Arms, has them on my no buy list. I don't buy their excuse or their products.
I looked up the situation you site and both parties have terminated their relationships with the IMFA. If you search Bearing Arms site you will see the company's statements. Not knowing how you were informed maybe just an error in news reporting.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I looked up the situation you site and both parties have terminated their relationships with the IMFA. If you search Bearing Arms site you will see the company's statements. Not knowing how you were informed maybe just an error in news reporting.
I've read their statements and B.S. Through gross negligence or willful malfeasance they put money into weakening gun rights in Illinois. That group, which was entirely funded by those two corps, donated to anti gun politicians. They didn't know? If that is true they were grossly negligent, if not they were actively trying to undercut gun rights in the name of $$$. Either way management seems incompetent and I don't know if I give them more money if it will end up in some gun grabbing Chicago politicians hands. Maybe I'll check back with them in 10 years and see if the entire board is different and they have cleaned house. But there are so many great gun manufacturers out there and honestly, SA ins't anything special as much as I like my original XD.

If you want an inexpensive carry gun, and are OK with 9mm, check out the Star BM.
They can be found on the surplus market for under $250.
They are a shameless copy of the 1911 (less the grip safety) with a 4" barrel, and are plenty accurate at handgun distances.
I'm also pretty fond of the Polish Radom P64. That's chambered in 9mm Mak, and the same size as a PPK. But some find the recoil a bit harsh on that one.
I'm not looking for surplus to have as a carry gun though I'd like to get one of those Star guns. MAC did a good video on them.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Smith & Wesson makes a good product in the M&P line.

·
Super Moderator
42,676 Posts
I have a S&W Shield in .45 that I really like. It is very accurate and has a great trigger. The gun is 7/8 inch wide by itself. Mine has a Hogue rubber grip "glove" on it and at the widest point it is 1 3/8 inches. The magazine only holds seven rounds plus one in the chamber but if I can't hit what I am aiming at with eight rounds, I would give up shooting. I would not hesitate recommending one of these to anyone.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts