The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of Redding Reloading Dies that I had given to me for free. They are nice dies and have been used very little. The expander die does not have the internal expander in the die and therefore the actual die is hollow. This is what Redding's website says about this particular die set.

The “Pro Series”, for use in progressive reloading machines, is a specially prepared three (3) die set. Since the most popular machines do not make use of an expander die, it has been eliminated in the new “Pro Series” sets. The sizing die is the extraordinary Redding Titanium Carbide, complete with a decapping unit. A superior crimp can be accomplished if it is done in a separate operation from the bullet seating. For this reason the “Pro Series” bullet seating die is designed for bullet seating only, with no crimping feature. Our Profile Crimp die is supplied for the final crimping.
For cartridges that headspace on the case mouth, a Taper Crimp die is substituted. All dies in the set have a special large radius at the mouth for easy case entry, a necessary feature for progressive machines.

This leaves me confused. Can I get an internal expander for it or just how does it work. On my 45 Colt I don't always expand because I don't need to. Is this the idea behind the Redding dies?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
What are you reloading on? I'm thinking that if you were loading on a machine that had a powder through expander system with special powder drop actuation dies, then this set would would great with it. IE - Dillon 650, station 1 size/decap/prime ( Die 1 ) St2 - expand and charge with Dillons setup St3 - powder cop St4 - bullet seat w/ die 2 St5 - crimp w/ die 3.

·
Registered
9,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are you reloading on? I'm thinking that if you were loading on a machine that had a powder through expander system with special powder drop actuation dies, then this set would would great with it. IE - Dillon 650, station 1 size/decap/prime ( Die 1 ) St2 - expand and charge with Dillons setup St3 - powder cop St4 - bullet seat w/ die 2 St5 - crimp w/ die 3.
I either reload on my Hornady progressive or my Hornady single stage. The RCBS expander will not thread into the Redding. I am going to call Redding tomorrow and find out unless someone can answer it.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I either reload on my Hornady progressive or my Hornady single stage. The RCBS expander will not thread into the Redding. I am going to call Redding tomorrow and find out unless someone can answer it.
the way that I see it, is that there is no expander die at all. Redding intended it to be done with a seperate "press specific " step. I think you just need to buy an expander die for that caliber, what are you loading with that set?

·
Registered
9,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the way that I see it, is that there is no expander die at all. Redding intended it to be done with a seperate "press specific " step. I think you just need to buy an expander die for that caliber, what are you loading with that set?
I am going to put this set on eBay along with some other dies.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
You can buy a 45 colt PTX expander (.452 I believe) for the powder measure for around $10, then call Hornady customer service, ask them for the PTX linkage that attaches to your powder measure and they will send it at no charge, problem solved. If not PM me with a price on your dies.

G

·
OK Dillon presses have a die in the powder measure die. This die changes when you change the tool head or you change it when you change our your dies. On pistol dies you don't need an expander button like in bottle next cases. The only expansion that takes place is at the Powder drop station when that die flares the mouth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.