Need a shorter Ithaca 37 buttstock

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by isrummell, May 14, 2017.

1. isrummell

isrummell Active Member

My girlfriend bought a model 37 12 gauge and it's a bit long for her ( she got a good deal on and loves Ithaca) I don't want to cut down the factory stock because she will sell it once she gets her grandpa's. Would a youth model stock fit it? And also i need to put some sort of recoil pad on it.

2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

If you are willing to buy a second stock (youth model) and HOPE it fits her, why not buy a second full-size stock, cut it for a custom fit, then put the uncut one back on it to sell it?

Or - custom cut the stock to fit her, then when she gets Grandpa's (I assume we're talking "inherits"), remove both stocks, put her custom-fit one on Grandpa's gun and Grandpa's full size stock on her old gun, then sell that.

goofy likes this.

3. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Ithaca's did not have youth stocks. So you will need to get another one to cut down.
    They can be expensive so look around to try and get one that is used.
    Get a recoil pad before you cut it and count that into the overall length.
    Mike

4. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

5. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Sorry but this is a reproduction not a original but in this case it does not matter. The original Ithaca guns did not make one. This is a stock made from Boyds gun stocks and sold to Numrich.
    You can call Ithaca guns in OH they might be making youth stocks for there guns.
    Mike

6. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

I stand corrected. It was the model 37 20 gage and not the 12 gage that came in a youth stock.
    By the way Ithaca calls it the Ladies stock and not a youth stock.

http://www.ithacagun.com/featherlight_ladies.php

Copyright © 2014 The Ithaca Gun Company

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Is the new gun a real 37?

Seems like I recall that 37s were discontinued and brought back a time or three. Also Ithaca went under, was bought and reopened, a time or three.

Do parts interchange?

I know the barrel of my brother's gun (from the 50s) won't go on mine (1978).

Will a 1938 stock fit a 1998 gun?

grcsat likes this.
  8. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

This add is I believe from 2014.
    As to the rest,......I don't know.

Normally when a rifle/shotgun is discontinued it can come back with so called improvements.
    These so called improvements may or may not allow the parts to be interchangeable.
    I don't keep up with shotguns so your guess is as good as mine.

In all honesty I don't like shotguns even though I have had to repair them when I had my shop.
    When I see an old double barrel shotgun , I see one of two things. The first is a beautiful work of art that should be left alone or something that I would like to turn into a double rifle.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    Grizzley1 likes this.
  9. msheff

msheff Active Member

Parts from 1938 will fit a newer gun except the barrel. Before serial number 855000 all barrels were hand fitted to the gun. After that barrels were threaded differently to allow them to be interchangeable. Also newer receivers are about 1/8 inch longer so an older trigger plate will work it will just have a gap between it and the stock. I have a 16 gauge Ithaca 37 I put together out of spare parts. It has a 1970 receiver late 1940's stock and forend. Bolt and slide from late 40's. Trigger group from late 60's and a 1966 barrel. I like it better than any of the other 37's I own. An interchangeable 3 inch barrel will also fit an interchangeable 2 3/4 gun but you can't shoot 3 inch shells in it.

10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Thank you. Nice to know. So I can (if I can find one) get a new(ish) 26 improved barrel for my riot gun, to go quail huntin'.

11. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Since my brother's gun has the "hand-fitted to the gun" barrel, if something were to happen to it, could he get it replaced?

Since the barrels now are "different thread - interchangeable", and won't fit his, would he be in the spot of, "sorry, we don't make them no more"? Be sitting there with a useless receiver?

12. msheff

msheff Active Member

You can have another old style barrel fitted to the gun. Les Hovencamp at Diamond gunsmithing in New York can do the work he was head gunsmith for the old Ithaca gun company. The new Ithaca in Ohio can install a new barrel but you won't be able to use the old barrel anymore. If the barrel has a serial number it is old style. If no serial number it is interchangeable.