The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Given that I can't get the components I want, I began load development with what I could get for my Rem223 F Class rifle.
I found a load of 25.0 CFE223 & 75gr Hornady that shot well at 100yds. I got .400" consistently. ES was 13, SD was 5. For 300yd match, it should do ok.

Today I took it to 300yds. IT SUCKED!
2.25 ", or 3/4 moa, was the best I could do. I'm frustrated beyond belief. Range conditions were good, no wind.

With 24.5 Varget & 70gr Bergers, Winchester primers, I get 1/4 moa at 100, and 1/2 moa at 300.

I did have a dozen Varget/ Berger loads left, so I shot 5 of them. Yup, a group of 1.250" at 300yds.

I don't know what to do next. Powder is not available & I don't want to spend a ton of money trying other powders just because they may be available.

I've tried different charges & seating depths. Nothing is working.

FYI, Savage #12 action, Schillen 28" 1/7 barrel. This has always been a 1/4 moa rifle.

·
TFF Chaplain
21,999 Posts
My first impression is that your group is consistent at both distances. At 100 yards you get 0.4 inch group. Multiply that deviation by 3, going from 100 to 300 yards, and you would expect a group of about 1.2 inches.

I'm probably explaining that badly. Someone else can probably say it better. The bullets keep the same trajectory at 300 yards that they had at 100 yards. You are keeping the same minute of angle, just measuring it at a greater distance.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Some say I'm stupid because I don't believe anything under a 10rd group when I'm experimenting.If I put 10 in a nice size,then I let barrel cool and do another 10,then I might trust it to be consistent NEXT time...I've seen many a "wonder" load that shoots 3 real tight and then it's shotgun pattern time.

·
Premium Member
15,985 Posts
Do you have any IMR-4198? If so, it might be worth a try. It always worked wonders in the 222.

·
Registered
8,675 Posts
I typed a bunch of other stuff, but after reading it I figured I came out sounding snotty. Your rifle seems to prefer Varget to CFE223. Sensible thing is to save the CFE for rainy days and use the Varget for your Matches.

·
GUNZILLA
8,383 Posts
I use RL15 with 75gr Hornady hpbt and get 5 shot groups at 200 yards measuring .680. The only thing is that my RRA is a 20" heavy barrel.

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Registered
8,675 Posts
Well, yeah. If you have any Varget for sale at less than $100 a pound, PM me.
If I had any, I'd sell it to you for what I paid for it. Heck - I'm STILL trying to find Unique after 2 years looking for it. We are all in the same boat. Often give this advice "conserve now - it's gonna be a LONG dry-spell". The other advice? Don't dip into your SHTF stash. Ever. Dopey and The Camel won't last forever.

Back when I shot in Service Hi-Power Matches I practiced with M-80 Ball and saved the M-118 Match ammo for actual Matches. THAT was the point I was trying to present.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I had any, I'd sell it to you for what I paid for it. Heck - I'm STILL trying to find Unique after 2 years looking for it. We are all in the same boat. Often give this advice "conserve now - it's gonna be a LONG dry-spell". The other advice? Don't dip into your SHTF stash. Ever. Dopey and The Camel won't last forever.

Back when I shot in Service Hi-Power Matches I practiced with M-80 Ball and saved the M-118 Match ammo for actual Matches. THAT was the point I was trying to present.
Valid point. If I had any varget it would be saved for matches.

My issue is that I can't find a load I'm happy with. CFE223 was the ONLY powder I could find locally that would work with 75gr. 223 bullets. As stated, I don't care to buy whatever might be available just to find I don't like it. I also have some AA2460, but it's too fast for 75gr bullets. So I tried it with 55gr bullets, but my 1/7 twist just puked them out.

·
Registered
8,675 Posts
In the 'open' Service Rifle Matches, it used to be fun just seeing what people brought out to shoot with. I recall civilian guys showing up with 1903 Springfields and M1 Garands. In those matches they provided their own ammunition because the stocks of M-72 .30 ammo had pretty much dried up by then. This was about 40 years ago.

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
I guess I don’t see a problem. If I could hit 2.25” groups at 300 yards, I’d be happy. Heck, 2.25” groups at 100 yards would suit me. That would pretty much insure whatever I was aiming at is dead.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess I don’t see a problem. If I could hit 2.25” groups at 300 yards, I’d be happy. Heck, 2.25” groups at 100 yards would suit me. That would pretty much insure whatever I was aiming at is dead.
For hunting purposes I would agree. But for match shooting, it stinks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts