The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
For what it is worth, Joe, I started with LEE and have several bits of their equipment/dies. I also have RCBS single-stage presses. The LEE has served me well, although not perfect. The last LEE press I bought is the APPS press, inexpensive and very fast for a single stage.

Good Luck

Larry

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For what it is worth, Joe, I started with LEE and have several bits of their equipment/dies. I also have RCBS single-stage presses. The LEE has served me well, although not perfect. The last LEE press I bought is the APPS press, inexpensive and very fast for a single stage.

Good Luck

Larry
Thankyou

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Nothing wrong with Lee at all. I started out with a Lee 50th Anniversary Breech Lock Challenger Kit. Now I’m using the Breech Lock Hand Press Kit since I sold my previous setup. No matter which set you get, you will still need to buy your dies separately.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have Lee, RCBS, and Dillon
No complaints with any of them
Most used is RCBS, but that is what I was taught on and have used for 45 years

Hornady is excellent equipment.

Can't go wrong with any name brand
Just a matter of brand preference and budget.

I would recommend, Stick with single stage to learn steps and repitition.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
My 1st press was a Lee single stage then after I got to were I was reloading for several more calibers I moved to a 4 stage Lee press . If I ever get to were I am shooting 1000 rounds a week I might move to a progressive but for my needs don't see that happening . Lee single for me is a great starter press . Yes there is a difference in quality between Lee and other presses and dies but for me it's small . Most of my stuff is Lee but also have other brands and can tell between them . Start with to see if you want to keep growing as a reloader then pick a set of dies from RCBS , Hornady or someone else to see between the two . I still use my single stage at times so it's not like you will not need it even if you move up . Right now supply and demand makes it a rough time to begin reloading , hard if you have been doing it for years !!! Maybe if this panic ever ends the folks that bought stuff and know don't care to use it will be selling stuff at cheaper prices .

·
Registered
40 Posts
My first press was the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Kit because I found a super deal (a few years ago). Great press, but I use the Lee carbon die sets with the Hornady Lock-n-load bushings for quick die changes. As said above - Lee is a good press as well. I probably would have bought a Lee myself if not for the good deal on the RCBS Kit.

·
Registered
5,742 Posts
I first started reloading in 1965 when I was an 18 yr. old. I bought a Lee Load all "Whack a Mole" set and I also killed game with my reloaded ammo. I for one don't look back on those reloading sessions with nostalgia. They sucked. I bought a Pacific press soon after and never looked back. I still have that old Pacific and use it for depriming. I now have 3 RCBS single stage presses that I use all the time.

·
Super Moderator
27,446 Posts
I started with the Lee 50th anniversary Challenger kit, it has served me well. I then added a Classic Cast single stage. Both make quality ammo. The only thing that I don't like about the Lee kits, and many share the feeling, is the scale.

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
Is lee kit worth buying or hornady a wiser long term buy. Single stage kits
I started reloading with an old heavy Lyman single-stage and also an older Lyman turret press. I'm still using them both. I have never owned a Lee press but I know lots of folks here that have them and are happily still using them. If I hadn't gotten such a good deal on the 2 Lyman presses I would likely be using a Lee press today.

Reactions: shootbrownelk
1 - 14 of 14 Posts