The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I require assistance with identifying a rifle based off of a few photos. Grandma was cleaning out a deceased friend's possessions and found this rifle.

Serial number consists of 4 digits in the 2300-2400 range. Exact will not be given for privacy reasons.

( ^ Top of bolt handle)

( ^ Right side of the barrel)

( ^ Left side of the barrel)

Who is it made by?
What is the model?
What is the year?
What is it rated to fire in terms of ammunition?
Is there an estimate on worth? It is covered in a decent layering of surface rust.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
Spanish made 98 Mauser action with a Remington 1903A3 30/06 barrel fitted to it.
The "Cal 7.92" is on the receiver ring Hawg, I had to look a couple of times because of the way he labeled the pics, then remembered fleur de lis Spanish marking.
8 MM is 7.92 X 57. 30-06 is 7.62 X 63.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Well..... It's is a 1903A3 U.S. barrel on some sort of Mauser rifle action. The action looks like an M98 type. Sort of being like a flea on an elephant's back trying to describe what it is he is sitting on. That 7.92 IS 8 millimeter. Curious as to a .30-06 barrel ending up being "8 millimeter" and ending up on a Mauser.

Here's an off-the-wall question: That "7.92" - is that on the BARREL or is it stamped on the receiver? I can't tell from the picture.

Ifr you are nervous about showing the rifle's serial number - put a piece of tape over it and take a picture of the receiver - both sides and the top forward section. You might also remove the scope in order for us to see the top, forwa5rd end on the receiver. We need to see those to identify what type of rifle you have. That barrel belongs on a U.S. Smith-Corona or Remington Model 1903A3 - not on a Mauser. The rifle has obviously been reworked into a "Sporter" Hunting rifle. The bolt handle has been replaced with a contoured handle, the safety looks like a Bueller low saftey (to clear a scope body). Someone sank some money into the work.

As others have said, that metal looks awfully dry. It is screaming out for some protective gun oil. Keep the oil away from the wood because it will soak into it and weaknen the structure.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Jim, my confusion too, until I remembered the Spanish markings. Nik takes good close ups, almost too close!
I've got a 98K with dbl set triggers that was re-barreled to '06 back around late 40's/early 50's, with a surplus M1917 4 groove, it's a tack driver.

·
Premium Member
14,025 Posts
I don't think there was any fear seeing the S/N with only 6 inches of rifle shown.

·
Super Moderator
28,588 Posts
I don't think there was any fear seeing the S/N with only 6 inches of rifle shown.
Or that the OP said it was being kept out of the pics for privacy reasons.

Reactions: nikkolaus

·
Super Moderator
42,021 Posts
Or that the OP said it was being kept out of the pics for privacy reasons.
With the size of the pictures he posted, you couldn't see the SN if he even got close to it. BUT like someone already said - a piece of tape would work wonders to hide the thing!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts