Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

Need help finding parts/identifying a Volunteer shotgun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by TheRedDawn, Jul 30, 2020.

1. TheRedDawn

TheRedDawn New Member

Hello. I recently purchased a beat-up but functioning shotgun for $20. It's a 16 gauge break action with the name "Volunteer Gun Co." on the side of the frame. Volunteer was a trade name used by Belknap Hardware. Guns under this trade name were made by Crescent, H&R, Iver Johnson, and Stevens. I think that this particular gun is an Iver Johnson Champion. Though I'm not 100% positive on that claim.

The only other visible marking that I have found on the gun is on the top of the barrel. There's a marking that says "Choke Bored." I think the serial number is on the tang of the gun but it is obscured by tape. The buttplate on the gun looks like it has a word on it but it's very hard to make out.
    The stock is partially broken near the frame of the gun. The barrel of the gun is 18.5 inches which was most likely done in the aftermarket.

I'm looking for more info and parts on this gun. I would love to find a new barrel that's longer and a new buttstock. I'm planning on redoing this gun and giving it to my father because the 16 gauge that he had and grew up on was pretty much given away by his own dad.

If anyone can help me further identify this gun, or lead me to a site or person that has parts, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. :)

Attached Files: