The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a SAA in 32 WCF that I need help in finding out what it is. Serial number is F0015 on the action and F0039 on the grip frame. Has any one run into serial
numbers like this. This is a gunsmith special put together revolver as the barrel is a colt.

·
Registered
17,283 Posts
Never heard of a Colt SAA with a serial starting in F.

Also that is not where, on the Colt grip frame, the SN is.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
I think Mr. Ware knows it is not a Colt frame ( from his wording )I believe he is trying to find out just who the maker is. I think, but then again sometimes I think too much.:eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dot not believe its a colt. Sack peterson does not think its a Great Western. To further confuse the issue this a new action. No wear on it and came in the white. This revolver came in a 500 gun lot that Cabelas bought from a retired gunsmith. I claim no manufacturer
on the action. I post this to the members hoping they have run across this type of serial
number in there experience.

·
Registered
17,283 Posts
I was going by your using "SAA", which is a model name, like calling a car a Corvette, and the Colt grips.

Sorry if I misunderstood you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Action looks like Great Western II. There serial numbers have EO prefix. I am still
looking for E prefix revolver. Just want to know what to call this revolver besides (IT)

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Interesting that it appears to lack the cylinder pin release button. Or hole to attach it.

·
Registered
17,283 Posts
That would make it a "black powder frame". Colts were like that from their start, in 1873, until the mid 1890. The used a screw from the front, going up at an angle, to hold the pin.

G

·
I am guessing it's an import trying to make it look like a Colt SAA
Receiver noted to have Colt pat. dates on side ???????

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a couple of Uberti replicas, and they start the serial number with a letter, the letter denoting year of manufacture. The other markings on mine replicate an original Colt. The maker's name and/or the importers name is marked to top of the barrel. Since the revolver in question is believed to have had the barrel replaced, that would explain the lack of markings.
I'd say it's most likely a Uberti or a Pietta. My two Ubertis were made in 2006 and both serials start with J. I do not have the Pietta at hand to look at the serial number, but I know it starts with a letter as well.

·
Registered
17,283 Posts
I've got five Ubertis. Two rifles, three pistols. One rifle is used, I have never found out when it was made. The other rifle and the pistols were bought new. Pistols were made in 98, 99 and 2000. Rifle was made in 99. The serial numbers on all five of these guns are just numbers. There are no letters.

·
Registered
17,283 Posts
Also have a couple of Armi San Marco (that's one of 'em in post #8). Their SNs start with SA.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Uberti Cattleman 357 magnum, 4 & 3/4" - serial starts with J
Uberti Cattleman 45 Colt, 5 & 1/2" - serial starts with J
F.LLI Peitta 1873 45 Colt, 7& 1/2" - serial starts with F
These are what I have at the moment.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
I've got five Ubertis. Two rifles, three pistols. One rifle is used, I have never found out when it was made.
There's no date code on it? I had a Uberti Cattleman with no letter prefix and have a Uberti/Cimarron with a C prefix.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts