The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would like some help identifying 3 pistols,i inherited,1) 32 cal. U.S. Revolver Co.S/N A14880, 3" barrel, 5 shot top break looks like auto eject, nickel plate with blued trigger n guard n hammer.
2) American double action ( on top strap ), H&R arms company worcester,mass U.S.A. ( on left side of octoganal barrel)2 1/2, 6 shot 32 cal
only S/N i find is under the grips 9396 no letters
3.)38 cal. 5 shot hammerless, Harrington&RichardsonArmsCompanyWorcesterMassUSA( top of barrel all together one line)second line, Pat. May 14 & Aug,6,'89 April2,'95 April7,'96.
S/N 71889 under grips & on butt&under top strap when u remover cylinderbut no letter under top strap?. Left side of barrel reads( 38 S&W CTGE)
any help indentifying year and B/P or smokeless and anything else would be greatly appreciated
ty jeff

Attachments

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just incase there's any knowledgable colt arms people, Colt .38 cal, looks like it says police positive w/ 38 next to it on left side of barrel. S/N 164206 is on frame when u flip open cylinder to load also on arm that holds cylinder. only two spots i can find the S/N
ty Jeff

Attachments

· Registered
1,135 Posts
That's a neat old Colt, harleydiver69. Thanks for putting up pictures of it and the loading device.

I can't tell you much about the gun. I thought that a 38 with short barrel and small grip would have been called a Detective Special or a Bankers Special. And the ammo in the loader confuses me too - it looks too long for 38 S&W, which Colt called 38 New Police, and too short for 38 Special.

But there are people who really know about Colts here, and they should be able to tell you a lot more. One thing I have learned for sure here - I don't know as much as I thought I did!

· Registered
1,135 Posts
Sorry, harleydiver69 - I can't tell you anything useful about the H&Rs that you don't already know from looking at them. I think the floral grips on the pull-pin one indicate it was made very early in H&R's history. The top-break one is newer, but they made that style for a very long time.

If you search around for Jim Hauff's posts on this website, you will find a wealth of H&R information. You will almost certainly find your exacts models eventually, but it may take a while. Jim Hauff and Bill Goforth literally wrote the book on H&R's, but they have both passed away.

Otherwise, all I can say is that the Colt is worth more than the two of them put together, with the US Revolver gun thrown in for good measure. People really like Colts.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ty Lanrezac, for ur help i've read alot of thier posts and found alot of useful info on my guns , i read of Bill Goforth's passing but didnt know of Jim Hauff's passing i did hear that he was sick , sorry to hear all this bad news as they both had a very vast knowledge of these hand guns that would be gone if not for the book bill wrote i hope it is or will be published soon
Jeff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.