The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an 8mm Mauser a couple weeks ago (through a death in the family) and need help identifying this gun.

This gun is in great working shape and shoots a tight 2in group at 100yds (probably me drifting more so than the gun). However, this gun is lacking most traditional markings for a European Mauser. I have a few pictures below of the gun and markings. There are scope mounts on the gun (the scope is not in the pictures). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Left Side

Right Side

Bottom

Top of Bolt

Top of Barrel

Left Side of Barrel

Right Side of Barrel

Bottom-Right Side of Barrel

Bottom of Barrel

All the pics can be found in higher resolution here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djshepp21/sets/72157634527414917/

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
The stamping under the FWD scope base will reveal a lot of info

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought so too. Unfortunately, underneath the sight mounts is nothing.

These two photos were added to the flicker site posted in the original post.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
You have a military rifle which has been converted into a sporting rifle. It no longer is of interest to collectors, only to those who are looking for a low cost shooter. Value will probably be no more than $200 at most. As for exactly which military rifle it once was, I will leave it for those who are more expert in this field to identify.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Could be wrong, but it looks like a reworked 98k. While some reworked military rifles have been reworked to be works of art, yours seems to be a working gun, designed to bring home the bacon. As such it will out last you and your heirs. but as quoted the value would be low, in the 200-300 area.

·
Registered
269 Posts
It may be that this rifle is made up from parts of a number of guns. For example, the bolt release with a riveted spring that is typical of Polish Mausers. The bolt is mismatched and appears to have a German commercial proof. The cocking piece appears to be similar to those from later wartime CZ made parts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts