The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a blunderbuss gun and Looking for opinions or help that what identify which Era or line of blunderbuss this is. I belive it to be a replica or prop gun, but I'm not certain. It is a well worn barrel and stock and I can't seem to find any markings. I very carefully took the barrel off and couldn't find anything on the underside either.

Any info is appreciated. Thanks.
Beige Jewellery Silver Fashion accessory Metal
Wood Fawn Liver Human leg Trunk
Dishware Serveware Wood Natural material Button

Musical instrument Wind instrument Brass instrument Wood Art
Brown Wood Shotgun Air gun Metal

Wood Beige Door Metal Fashion accessory

Wood Household hardware Door Metal Artifact

Wood Musical instrument Artifact Metal Antique

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
In the old Dixie Gun Works catalogs. There were similar guns. They were made in the area of Southern Austria, called the Tyrol. Used for weddings and festivals, as salute guns. Apparently this was the custom of that particular area. And these guns were being made and used in fairly recent times.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the inside of the barrel drilled all the way to the flash hole?
Yes it is.
In the old Dixie Gun Works catalogs. There were similar guns. They were made in the area of Southern Austria, called the Tyrol. Used for weddings and festivals, as salute guns. Apparently this was the custom of that particular area. And these guns were being made and used in fairly recent times.
Thanks.
I have not found one picture online to match my exact style. I'll look into your description.

·
Registered
13,601 Posts
Before forming an opinion, can we please have a pic of the top, bottom (of the firearm) and one looking into the muzzle.
This. I have my suspicions on what it is but I'd like to see a few more pictures as you've described. I see things that would lead me to believe it's a modern made replica that has been antiqued to look old.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
This. I have my suspicions on what it is, but I'd like to see a few more pictures as you've described. I see things that would lead me to believe it's a modern made replica that has been antiqued to look old.
I am in agreement with you. So far, I am seeing things that don't add up, with more questions than answers. Using the zoom on my pc, I think I am seeing both old and new, and things that shouldn't be there.

·
Registered
13,601 Posts
I'm seeing the same thing, but it looks more like new made to look old rather than a mix. All the screws are modern made and the surface looks to be forced patina. I can take a brand new L&R flintlock out of the package and make it look aged like this one in about 20 minutes.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Thank you for the pics.
You have a fake Spanish Moor decoration on the barrel which has a lot of "wear" in the wrong places.
The style of the stock is completely wrong compared to the rest of the firearm.
The stock should be fine grain dense wood.
The hammer is French and a fair copy of the military hammers used during the Napoleonic wars and this would not normally be found on a blunderbuss.
If this blunderbuss was real, it would have cost a lot of money , and no one would have paid for such poor in-letting.
Last but not least, the big giveaway is the trigger guard. If you look closely, you can see the filled holes that were once used for rifle slings. A blunderbuss does not have or use a sling.
Oh, I forgot, machined screw heads that have yet to be invented.

I'll let someone else fill you in on what is wrong about the lock.

·
Registered
13,601 Posts
For starters the lock bolt washers look like they are from an Enfield rifled musket and the pan was machined with a dremel or similar rotary tool and they only cleaned the rear of it. The cock is off center and the frizzen has never been struck with a flint but the front of the lock mortise is scorched to mimic a lot of use. The barrel is non functional, it's rough and as cast in the breech, only the bell has been smoothed out. You have a genuine Khyber Pass fake antique blunderbuss. Makes a good wall hanger or conversation piece but please don't ever try to load or shoot it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts