The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who owns a VZ24 in 7mm that he wants to sell me. I couldn't find much information on it but, I had him take pictures of all stamping. The rifle fires, but is missing the cleaning rod and is in very used shape(cosmo soaked dented furniture, corrosion, and pitting). Now whilst I have seen the rifle myself, I forgot to take pictures. I hope that the pictures my friend gave me combined with the above description are enough to go on. The only thing I haven't looked at is the bore. For the sake of this thread, assume it is in okay shape. My questions are what is the date of this rifle and what is a fair price I should pay for it? Any other info on this model of 7mm is also appreciated as I definitely would love to learn more.

·
Premium Member
1,486 Posts
I know nothing about these old rifles other than they are interesting pieces of history. I’m sure the great and knowledgeable ones will be along in the morning to evaluate the rifle.

·
Super Moderator
39,887 Posts
Never heard of one being chambered in 7mm even though I see it on the barrel - weird. I have a VZ-24 in original condition which is chambered in 7.92X57, which is commonly called 8mm.

·
Super Moderator
39,887 Posts
You didn't say what you were looking for in your post but since it is in the "What's it worth" forum I am going to guess that you are looking for the value. I have seen the original 8mm rifles going from $395 to $799 in various locations. When I bought mine, I gave $99 for it, but that was a few years ago. WIth it (if it has) being re-chambered in 7mm, I don't have any idea of value. I wouldn't give a hundred bucks for the thing, myself.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
The Czech model 24 BRNO in 7MM was made for the Colombian army.

On this rifle, the VZ.24 stands for Vzor meaning Model A-7X57.
Yea, I know it gets a little confusing.

If you are going to buy one of these rifles , check the barrel rifling and if possible take it a part because this model is known for extreme rust and corosion under the wood.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
The VZ-24 in 7mm was mainly made for South American countries. There was a shipment for China in 8mm that didn't get paid for, so they were re-barreled and sold to Brazil. Those have a prefix letter to the serial number, or a whole different serial with the prefix letters stamped over the VZ serial.
That one definitely saw time in the tropics, and like grcsat said, check under the wood. Don't just check the bore, scrub it first, then check it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)
You didn't say what you were looking for in your post but since it is in the "What's it worth" forum I am going to guess that you are looking for the value. I have seen the original 8mm rifles going from $395 to $799 in various locations. When I bought mine, I gave $99 for it, but that was a few years ago. WIth it (if it has) being re-chambered in 7mm, I don't have any idea of value. I wouldn't give a hundred bucks for the thing, myself.
I think there may have been a bug with Xenforo dealing with my numerous pictures as I am afraid the last two sentences of the 2nd paragraph may not be visible. Hopefully my quoting overrides any such bug.
Secondly I really appreciate all the knowledge everyone has shared. I have learned a lot. It also seems many have learned of the existence of a 7mm variant. I am familiar with rechambering as my husqvarna 1907 is rechambered 380. I will be up at my friends house sometime soon and I will bring proper tools to remove the furniture and look for corrosion. Looking at the pictures it seems someone remove the furniture once as the the screws are warped from the use of a flathead that wasn’t wide enough.

·
Super Moderator
39,887 Posts
I don't consider nine pictures to be "picture heavy" when there are ten allowed per post. There are some folks that put 10 then 10 more in the next post. I don't see a second paragraph at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just got a notification. Why was post 7 edited by moderator to remove the 1st quote? I don’t understand.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The VZ-24 in 7mm was mainly made for South American countries. There was a shipment for China in 8mm that didn't get paid for, so they were re-barreled and sold to Brazil. Those have a prefix letter to the serial number, or a whole different serial with the prefix letters stamped over the VZ serial.
That one definitely saw time in the tropics, and like grcsat said, check under the wood. Don't just check the bore, scrub it first, then check it.
That’s what has baffled me. Before posting I did a bunch of research. Many websites that once had the information are down or do not exist. Luckily a few were crawled by the wayback machine. Most archives were incomplete, but the prefixes were there on every example I could find. The fact that the original proof marks weren’t scrubbed is also rather odd.

·
Super Moderator
39,887 Posts
I just got a notification. Why was post 7 edited by moderator to remove the 1st quote? I don’t understand.
Why would you quote yourself? I thought you did it by accident so I was cleaning it up for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why would you quote yourself? I thought you did it by accident so I was cleaning it up for you.
I thought there was a bug and that is why some of the original post wasn't being shown and quoting myself would override it. I used/setup XenForo based forums for many years. I remember when it was far from stable and had issues with security. I also had to program around many bugs, so I just assumed. Anyhow back on track.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know what that is! It’s a vz24. Looks to be 7mm. Did you have any other questions?

Does anyone know how to trace the origin of vz24 by serial numbers? I can’t find yours unfortunately

·
Super Moderator
39,887 Posts
I know what that is! It’s a vz24. Looks to be 7mm. Did you have any other questions?
Boy, that's brilliant! How did you figure that out? I bet the first 12 posts might have been a dead giveaway!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Boy, that's brilliant! How did you figure that out? I bet the first 12 posts might have been a dead giveaway!
No, I actually went to google, and looked up rifles until I saw something close. Did you have any additional info to help the OP? Or are you just wasting yours and everyone else’s time?

·
Super Moderator
39,887 Posts
Evidently I don't, but you seem to have all the answers, I knew it was a 7mm after seeing the picture of the barrel and reading the posts. I had never seen one in 7mm and I said so. I guess I could have made the same answer that you did, but I didn't. Oh well, I guess I am just dumb!

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Whyat, brainfart I forgot to add, It was made in 1924. Serial numbers had a letter prefix A-Z, but some letters were skipped, and ones like yours with no letter, were in the Q or W block, because in the Czech alphabet, they don't exist. Serial suffix letters started in 1926. Value is a tough one without seeing under the wood, and the bore. Corrosive primed ammo in the humid jungles were hell on the bores. If I had to guess, $250 tops?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts