The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anything on top of the barrel, or under the grips? The cylinder pin release says Iver Johnson to me, but the Belgians made copies of everything.
Prescott Pistol Co (E.A. Prescott) is my best guess. They made a 'Star' No. 38 (38 Rimfire) in 1873-1875. Never seen one with factory SN matching Ivory grips or engraved...

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
It's all matching serial number because they were all hand fitted. Those Ivory grips are old, they yellow and shrink some with age.
Prescott was the name I was trying to remember. In that time period, everybody and their brother was making these spur trigger "Suicide Specials". Engravers were pretty proud of their work, and if you go over real careful with a magnifier, there's a good chance you'll find some initials of who did it.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Sorry to chime in, I cant add any history info to or add any pricing info but I have to say that that is a well designed and nice looking piece for that time period. It is in not to bad a condition considering it is brass cast and still has the ivory intact.

It makes me think about a gambler or a well traveled individual that wanted something for protection that wasn't always wanting to advertise it. Much more punch than a pepper box or daringer of the day but may not fit a vest pocket as easy. Don't see a hammer spring in it. Dont see the other springs either. Is the hand in it (does the cyl rotate if you hold it pointed down).

I like it. Even though someone may never actually fire it - it would be worth more if it would function. It is attractive but is just an old broken pistol if it doesn't work (a fancy paper weight - 20$ maybe).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts