The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from Mother Russia. It seems russian experts are not educated enough to identify this shotgun properly, so I decided to ask for your help.
All photos presented here:
http://imgur.com/a/djyba
As far as I am concerned it is made by Kettner Koln. A previous owner says that it was maid in 1884. Moreover, the barrels are made of damascus steel.
I am interested in how much can it cost and its exact model.
In advance, sorry for my bad english.

·
Registered
367 Posts
What you have is a German hammergun, manufactured by Eduard Kettner in Koeln, Suhl and proofed past 1891 in Suhl. The caliber is 16/65mm, cartridge with special nitro powder and 28,5g lead. The left barrel is choked and not for bullets.
proof marks with eagle: N = Nitro powder proof , U = Untersucht, investigated, S = Schrotlauf, shotgun barrel, W = Wuergebohrung, choked barrel.

A previous owner says that it was maid in 1884.
This was only the year of formation of E.Kettner, proof marks are past 1891.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, you helped me very much. So how much can this hammergun cost, roughly speaking?
The barrels inside are in pretty good order.
Moreover, I have a big collection of vintage hammerguns and shotguns, and most of them are not identified. I can post them here as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another expert says that the hammergun was made in 11 month(November) 1885. He says that 1185 means that. Can it be true?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Timur, no sir, that is not the proof date. I'm pretty certain the proof date would be stamped on the flats, not on one of the barrels. I think the proof dates were not stamped on German firearms until after World War 1.

As you're in Russia, Marble is in Germany and I'm in the US value might be difficult to actually determine. Here in the US values for old German hammer guns vary wildly. I have seen examples similar to yours priced and sold anywhere from $200.00 to over $1,000.00 A hands on examination would be the only way to give a fair estimate of value.

Your English is fine, better than a lot of American's and, of course you can post other firearms here. We would love to see them!

Reactions: howlnmad and Timur

·
Registered
367 Posts
Another expert says that the hammergun was made in 11 month(November) 1885. He says that 1185 means that. Can it be true?
No Timur, not possible. Before 1891 no official proof marks were used and when the proof marks law started in 1891 older guns were marked only with a V under crown.
The serial number of this shotgun is 47915 and when I compare with my old guns the 1185 is the number of the barrel maker but not certain.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some interesting info. This hummergun was manufactured by Sauer&Sohn in 1894. Initially, I thought that it is rust, but actually it is "Sauer" proof marks dated early 1890.
Nonetheless, I cant find any similar hummergun in the Internet. Seems it is unvaluable :D.
Thanks everyone for your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
367 Posts
Why you think the gun was manufactured in 1894?
Sauer wasn't able to use proof marks, the proof house Suhl has done this.
(big crown, small crown, crown over S,U,W). Proof marks were madatory since 1892 (law from 1891) The marked figure Hercules was the brand of J.P. Sauer & Sohn, Suhl and was stamped by Sauer.
May be this link will helpfull for you:
http://sauer.net.ru/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=64&Itemid=48

http://weaponland.ru/publ/firma_j_p_sauer_sohn_gmbh_chast_i/11-1-0-1729

1 - 10 of 10 Posts