Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

Need help identifying an old revolver we received as a gift

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by SheShe, Nov 9, 2015.

1. SheShe

SheShe New Member

Hello,

I am uploading a few pictures of a revolver that was given to us. It is quite small; so much so that it almost looks like a toy. We would like some help identifying it. I am a quilter, so I used a 4.5 inch quilting ruler as a size reference guide.
    2015-11-09 12.48.40.jpg

From what we have found online, we believe it to be an H&R Scout Model (Young America?); .22 short, seven shot revolver. However, it seems everything I find online about those have 6" barrels and this one has a 1 5/8" barrel. It has no sights and appears to have never had any. The only markings on the revolver are "SCOUT MODEL" on the top and "109744" (which I assume is the serial number) on the handle and inside of the handle. I'm guessing this gun is relatively old because it looks pretty well used. The person that gave it to us told us that he believed it was possibly a "salesman's sample" from the 1920's.

2015-11-09 12.48.04.jpg

Thank you so much for any information that you might be able to provide. My older brother was a gunsmith. I wish he was still living so that he could see this gun and we could visit about it.It's really making me miss being able to call him. He passed away from sudden cardiac death in 2008 while at the Shot Show in Vegas.

2015-11-09 12.49.39.jpg "Scout Model" on top 2015-11-09 12.50.02.jpg Serial Number? "109744"
    2015-11-09 12.50.45.jpg Handle grip - side one 2015-11-09 12.51.05.jpg Handle grip - side two
    2015-11-09 12.51.31.jpg Body of revolver - side one 2015-11-09 12.51.46.jpg Body of revolver - side two

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  2. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

The missing front sight tells me the barrel has been shortened.

SheShe likes this.

3. SheShe

SheShe New Member

Interesting. It doesn't look to be cut. But, I would have no clue to determine such as I am quite novice. I guess if that is the case, it was done quite well. It is very smooth and no "cut marks" from what I can see. Is there a way that someone can look at it in person and determine if it was cut? Why would someone shorten the barrel? I find that odd.

It really does make me miss by brother.

Thanks for your helpful input.

Attached Files:

4. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

SheShe likes this.
  5. carver

carver Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I don't see a crown on that barrel, so it's most probably been cut.

SheShe likes this.
  6. SheShe

SheShe New Member

Thanks everyone! We have just confirmed from the person that gave it to us that it was, in fact, shortened. And, the wooden grips were in bad shape and were replaced with the Young American grips. Apparently, they shortened the barrel so that it would conceal-carry. We will have it checked out by a local gunsmith to make sure it is in firing condition before firing it. I appreciate your help!

7. SheShe

SheShe New Member

I truly find it sad that, if there were only 100 of these that were ever produced, someone ruined it by shortening it. I personally would have purchased a small semiautomatic that was manufactured for conceal carry rather than cutting off the end of this one. However, it was apparently altered many years ago. We still appreciate the gift. It's a cute little gun (yes, I just called a gun "cute").

8. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

That's OK, I have a couple of ugly ones but most of my guns are cute!:p:D

SheShe likes this.
  9. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

They also drilled a couple of holes in the frame. I can't imagine why that one at top of grips was done!

10. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Well-Known Member

Hole at top of grip was probably drilled for a lanyard.

SheShe likes this.
  11. Kippy

Kippy Well-Known Member

It's super cute! Just enjoy it and keep people wondering about it. Wonder if they have it at any of the NRA muesams? If I find anything I will post. In the meantime enjoy and stay safe.

SheShe likes this.
  12. SheShe

SheShe New Member

I actually think that hole is the pinhole for the original wooden grips because these grips are much smaller than the originals. The hole is there in the pictures from the link that you shared in your earlier post. However, I like the idea of using it on a lanyard once Texas goes to open carry in January (not serious).

I have enjoyed this thread and appreciate your help. I used to be able to discuss guns with my brother like this and it has brought me fond memories.

God bless!

2015-11-10 11.47.26.jpg gun sample.jpg

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015