The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help identifying a Flintlock pistol. My grandfather brought it back from Europe when he returned from the War. It has been hanging on his wall since the 1940’s. I have not found any words or numbers, but I have found a couple of symbols. One looks like a Camel. The barrel is magnetic. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,025 Posts
Where did Grandpa serve? That looks Spanish or North African to me. Beyond those possibilities, I'm as clueless as you.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I am inclined to say display /tourist piece rather than functioning firearm. There isn't a arm to keep tension on the frizzen while it is in the down position. It looks like the frizzen will just flip up and it would be hard to get a spark. If you look at the photos, you will see the frizzen has two points that keep in contact with the frizzen spring. While is in the up position and and after it is struck by the flint and goes forward.

I have been told the lines in the frizzen face were common in middle eastern guns, due to poor quality flint. It also looks like the barrel disproportionate or uneven near the muzzle.

It looks to never have been fired and the face of the frizzen doesn't look like it was ever struck with a flint.
20210609_200242.jpg
20210609_200233.jpg

·
Registered
10,610 Posts
It isn't Spanish, they predominantly used miquelet locks, could have come from any of the Middle Eastern countries. It looks to have been wire brushed with a brass wire wheel. The back half of the lock plate has been forge welded to the front half of the plate, you can see the weld just behind the cock. Shrek, I think the frizzen will work if it had a flint in the cock, it might even spark, but I wouldn't try to fire the thing. If the barrel was forge welded as poorly as the lock plate was, it might imitate a grenade in your hand.

Reactions: sharps4590

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
It isn't Spanish, they predominantly used miquelet locks, could have come from any of the Middle Eastern countries. It looks to have been wire brushed with a brass wire wheel. The back half of the lock plate has been forge welded to the front half of the plate, you can see the weld just behind the cock. Shrek, I think the frizzen will work if it had a flint in the cock, it might even spark, but I wouldn't try to fire the thing. If the barrel was forge welded as poorly as the lock plate was, it might imitate a grenade in your hand.
It looks like there is zero tension on the frizzen spring. There should be a small arm under the frizzen that keeps contact with the frizzen spring. As it is now,, I would think when the flint hits the frizzen it would either move forward slightly or flip rapidly.

Either way, I believe it's not as it was originally designed and was thrown together with parts for a display gun.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd put it back on the wall and leave it there.
It looks like there is zero tension on the frizzen spring. There should be a small arm under the frizzen that keeps contact with the frizzen spring. As it is now,, I would think when the flint hits the frizzen it would either move forward slightly or flip rapidly.

Either way, I believe it's not as it was originally designed and was thrown together with parts for a display gun.
Thank you for the replies. It could be a parts gun thrown together. Have you seen the marks or symbols on other pistols? It would be nice to have some idea of area of origin. I have no illusions of great value. Just would like to have some history. I believe my grandfather was in France when he got this pistol along with a French 1822 infantry pistol .

·
Registered
10,610 Posts
Unfortunately there is no way to know the when or where of this pistol other than it looks Middle Eastern in origin, pre dates WW2 and is rather crudely constructed. Some of the marks are just decorations and perhaps most of them are, none of them are proof marks that I recognize.

Reactions: Shrek73
1 - 8 of 8 Posts